Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Problems with Roku Streaming Stick overheating

Jump to solution

@JackieKay27 

Thanks for the note.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

If that doesn't seem to resolve the issue, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About. I'll follow up directly to assist you more from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

The roku streaming stick+ overheats when displaying 4k when sitting on a bench away from other equipment. It is true that in this location, airflow and vertical convection is limited.

A solution, the stick fits snugly into a £1 metal shelf bracket.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

My stick streaming 4k reaches temps into the 100c mark with no screen warning. What is the normal operating temps of these 4k sticks??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Mines is overheating as well.  As a matter of fact I had to move my TV  to lay a new rug down and remove the Stick from the TV and left it plug into the wall socket for a hour or so as I continued to clean, once I put the TV back into place, the Stick was still extremely hot. So I know it's not my TV making it overheat. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

This device is basically not meeting the safety standards of the EU, since it is normally placed at a height of below 85cm within the reach of small children, the regulation requires a child to be able to touch the device for more than 15 seconds without risk of sustaining any form of b-u-r-n or injury.

https://ec.europa.eu/docsroom/documents/5263/attachments/1/translations/en/renditions/native

Keith

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same issue we have 2 roku 1 is the stick the other is HDMI that sticks where ever you put it. The HDMI one was giving us alot of issues after about 4 hours of YouTube or Netflix it would overheat. My solution was a usb powered desk fan that is powered from my tv and its aimed to the roku and back of the tv that has been a very good and easy solution for me. The problem is obvious they use like a cellphone processor like a Qualcomm snapdragon Maybe and its in a confined space and what ever they use for a heatsink just can't keep up.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

Same thing happening to me. It only seems to happen on Prime. You?

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Where did you get HDMI extender? Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

It's stays hot even when not connected to the TV...I had unplugged it from the TV and left it plugged into the electric socket and it's still blazing hot.... I'm sure that's not good

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Waiting to receive it from Roku

0 Kudos