Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Problems with Roku Streaming Stick overheating

Jump to solution

I have 2 roku sticks (tried @ different times) that have in the past week started to overheat on my LG TV. Does this problem coincide with the update? Is this company heading the way of Apple and sabotaging equipment so we have to upgrade product to drive the ROKU bottom Line? Are they in a dispute with LG TV's?

need solution please!!!! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I received my Roku Stick a few days ago and used it several times with no problem. Today I was in my Prime Video using the Roku and a message it was overheating appeared on my tv. I unplugged let it cool down and then connected it and it happened again. My set up is I have the Roku stick and a Comcast HDMI cable plugged into an HDMI splitter. I only have those 2 things plugged into the splitter. What has been done regarding this issue? I would like to send it back and get a new one but question the point if this is a common issue. Please advise ..... thank you 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

I purchased my two Roku Streaming Stick + in April 2019.  Have had good luck with them.

Here is my overheating problem:

I purchased a Sceptre 4K UHD TV a couple of weeks ago.  Yesterday wanted to see what the 4K UHD looks like.  So, went to YouTube and downloaded a video that has this.  5 minutes into the video I got the OVERHEATING signal on the TV.  Turned everything off til morning.  Tried it again, did the same thing on a different 4K UHD video.  Has never happened until I wanted to watch 4K UHD.

The other Roku Streaming Stick + is on another TV that is not 4k UHD and has never had a problem.

I have ordered the HDMI Extender to see if that fixes it.

Is this a problem with the Streaming Stick in that it can't handle the work load of 4K UHD and overheats or is it something else?

I suppose I could switch the Roku's between TV's to see if the other does the same thing under the same conditions.

Would hate not being able to watch 4K UHD because the Roku has an inherent problem with this.

TIA

Bill

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

Problem resolved.  Found out the back panel of the TV was getting hot and transferring heat to the ROKU, thereby causing the issue.  Installed the HDMI Extender that was sent to me and seems to be resolved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@JA_Motter wrote:
On two of my 6 Roku Streaming Sticks I an starting to get “on-screen” notices that the Roku Streaming Stick is overheating. None of these sticks are more than 2 months old, so,I am concerned that all 6 will soon exhibit this flaw.

Roku’s tech support page (listed in the on-screen message) suggests that the RSS may be too close to some other piece of equipment that is producing heat, or that the RSS might be in too confined a space. But neither of these is true. My RSS is now connected through a 10” HDMI extension cable, so it is well away from the AV Receiver and the TV. It sits in an open space with adequate venting.

Is this a problem that many of you are also experiencing?

What is the solution? Please advise. Thank you.

I've gotten this problem on a couple of mine that were plugged in directly to my TV. I got the free extension/adapter and I have not had a problem since. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the newer 2019 Roku streaming (green box) mine is now constantly overheating within 10 minutes, even tho I have the hdmi extender. I am at the point where I have to place an ice pack under it to keep it cool. It seems to be a constant issue. Someone suggested placing Pie Sink on them by cutting a hole in the outer shell. Please help! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@deemichele 

Thanks for the note.

Have you tried placing the Streaming Stick in a different HDMI port on the TV? Some TVs offer HDMI ports on both the back and sides of the TV, which may help improve airflow to the unit. 

If that isn't an option or doesn't seem to resolve the issue, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About. I'll follow up directly to assist you more from there!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

To draw a parallel observation based on ARM high performance processing on new silicon designs: the world famous Raspberry Pi Foundation recently (2019) released an upgraded RPi4b desktop computer . Initially this appeared to suffer from easy to induce thermal throttling back of performance, re. "overheating". After detailed observations by the dev. team of precisely where heat was being produced on the circuit board, a new "kernel" or core operating system code was released that has been shown to both redistribute and reduce overall heating without impacting the performance of the computing power of the board. A real solution based on optimised code running on the machine to support it's normal functioning.

This underlines the reasoning why if you have a similar problem why the model and serial now. are being requested in each case as this will identify which model or silicon design is contained in your product and of course where the current software/hardware faults exist for solutions to be released as downloadable updates. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Model: 3810EU - Roku Streaming Stick+

Serial number: YH007Y689588

Software version: 9.2.0 build 4807-50

Device ID: E43917689588

Uptime when reported: 4 days+

Context: Product purchased December 2019.

First overtemp pop-up message (at 4 days runtime) was 2020-03-16 during Wi-Fi 4K playback of "prime video" inclusive tv series content. Title "Outlander"

HDMI extender in place. TV on hinged wall bracket positioned 16- 18" from gable end single brick thickness wall at high 16℃, low 6℃, room 60℃ with a room fan circulating laterally. 

With thanks for help in advance, re. Silicon die resources and software implementation errors of these resources that cause overhearing reports during normal operation as a streaming services player. Alexandra Crawford

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

We are having a terrible time with our newly purchased Roku express plus. It is overheating and running around 107 and is VERY hot to the touch. Even when it is not plugged into the USB port on the tv it’s very hot so I can’t see where a usb extender will do any good. I’m scared it’s going to start a fire as I have read other forums about sticks that have continued to get so hot they have melted!

I am very concerned about this. Roku has a definite problem here with all of the complaints. They need to make this right.

0 Kudos