Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plasman
Level 7

Premiere + Lipsync Problems persist

My Premiere+ has about a 200ms audio lipsync delay with any Roku channel (Netflix, Amazon etc) that uses Dolby Digital mode. If I switch to PCM or stereo, the delay disappears. This problem is discussed in great detail here https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... &start=120 . Work backwards through all the complaints. When I call Roku they deny hearing of this. Perhaps the issue is being overlooked in the forum since the reports are listed in the wrong thread.

I hope there will be an eventual fix.
0 Kudos
66 Replies
jmatcuk
Level 7

Re: Premiere + Lipsync Problems persist

Ditto for me, I actually returned my Premiere+, I can recall all of the tests that I performed but was unable to resolve the Lip Sync issues. I'd consider re-purchasing if the issues were fixed but my hope have been dashed so far.
0 Kudos
okcchad
Level 7

Premier+ here with same problem, where Roku 3 using exact same cables worked great (until it started freezing during movies).
I'm using a Sony receiver that supports Dolby Digital +, EX, as well as DTS and DTS ES, but only have 5.1 speakers connected currently.

What I've noticed is that the delay needed at the receiver changes by audio output type from Roku:
PCM/Stereo works fine at 0 ms delay on my Sony receiver.
Dolby Digital also works fine for me in Plex, but Netflix doesn't seem to use this format to compare in other apps.
Dolby Digital + is where I have sync issues.  Here I think I needed 120-150 ms delay.  This number seems consistent between Plex & Netflix.
DTS is the worst.  I have to max out my receiver at 300 ms to get things close.  I'm guessing more like 350 is what I need, but the receiver won't go that high.

So for me, if I want to keep using Roku I either have to limit things to Dolby Digital, which means stereo in all but Plex, or constantly change the audio delay on my receiver.

I'll add in that these were all the exact same issues I had with Amazon Fire TV, another 4k capable device.  Fire TV exhibited issues across two different Sony receivers I've had yet on both receivers the Roku 3 performed great across all the above mentioned audio types.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

This issue has been reported.  I don't have an ETA on the fix at this time however.  We're looking into it.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
pointyskull
Level 7

I am experiencing the sync issue with my Premiere, as well.
I hope a firmware update can rectify this.
0 Kudos
thenizzle
Level 7

Ultra, same issues.  Thanks Roku for actually/finally acknowledging it.
0 Kudos
plasman
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
This issue has been reported.  I don't have an ETA on the fix at this time however.  We're looking into it.

Thanks very much. Please test the issue using a Premiere+ into a 1080p TV or 1080p AV Receiver. An incompatibility with the 4K chips may be the culprit. Hopefully there can be a software fix. If not, can you help me to downgrade to a Roku 3? I don't have 4K TV's at this time. My old Chromecast 2nd generation has flawless lipsync with Netflix and Amazon. I'd be curious to know if the Chromecast Ultra 4K has the same problem as Roku Premiere+. It very well may if they use the same 4K chips.
0 Kudos
thenizzle
Level 7

I do not think it has to do with a specific AVR or a specific TV as I have seen users reporting this problem on basically every brand of TV and just about every brand of AVR.  

I personally have a Sharp Aquos 70" 1080P set and a Denon AVR-X4100W and I have the exact same fubar'd DTS audio issues as a guy with a Sony XBR 65" 4K and a Marantz AVR and a guy with a Sharp 4K set and a Sony AVR so it's definitely not an issue of a certain manufacturer or anything specific to 1080P.

I personally use HDMI for audio and not S/PDIF but I have seen reports of this happening over both so it's not even an HDMI vs S/PDIF thing.  This is definitely hardware agnostic.

Clearly, something is going on inside of the hardware of the new gen Roku's that can hopefully be resolved with a firmware update.  I went into the audio settings of the Ultra and disabled DTS (which really upsets me because DTS is my personal favorite format) so that is the crutch I'm limping on now while I consider throwing away this Ultra.

BTW, did you know DTS stands for Dedicated To Sound?  Maybe ROKU stands for Regret (buying) Our Krappy Ultra.
0 Kudos
HRSCR
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:

Sorry Mr Shawn.
Empty answer, same answer from almost a month ago.
The team really know what is the problem? 
TV: LG 65UH6150 - AVS: Yamaha RX-A810 AVENTAGE + Yamaha RX-v679 - Roku Ultra 4640x - Apple TV4 - Nvidia Shield Pro 2nd. Gen.
0 Kudos
chicagohusky
Level 7

Sean, we need more than "we know". You need to give us a lot more detailed information about how this is being handled. This problem has been going on for awhile now and its a pretty MAJOR issue. All we have heard, constantly time and time again, is "its being looked at". That isn't good enough anymore. A lot of people have completely useless products because of this bug. 

I encourage everyone with this issue to go out online and leave 1 star reviews for every product affected by this bug. Here is a list of places you should go out and warn people not to purchase any Roku devices until this bug is patched:

Amazon
Wal Mart
Best Buy
Target
Frys
reddit.com Plex community, home theater, any other relevant subreddits

Hit Roku where it hurts. They have sold us worthless products and strung us along with default customer service speak. Every company always says "it is being looked at". 
0 Kudos