Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spkay31
Level 7

Premiere+ 3921x frequent reboots

I have two Roku Premiere+ 3921x devices that I have been using on my Vizio TV's for about 5 weeks. For the most part streaming works fine, but occasionally I get stream timeout/reboots on the device connected to the 50" Vizio TV in my living room. I got the Premiere+ because they use the external power adapter and can be located more remotely from the TV and as an engineer I thought have a better power supply and being able to locate the device in a more accessible location would make it work better both for the remote and where there is better airflow to keep it a little cooler. 

But over the past week I would say the device has had to reboot a half dozen or so times which is most concerning during a red zone situation during a football game (happened 2 times). I didn't realize when I bought the Premiere+ that it lacks 5GHz WiFi compatibility but it has worked for a few weeks streaming without a problem for the most part. And my router is not to far (about 9-10ft) from the living room Roku and my throughput tests for all my devices in that area are at near max speed (118Mbps down / 12Mbps up - though I am testing using 5GHz frequency). I am inclined to believe it is less likely to be related to network throughput than to either power or heat related issues with the device since my Router seems to be working fine for all the devices in the house during the periods when reboots occur. 

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Also if others have notice the Ultra is much more reliable than the much smaller Premiere+ (and it offers 5GHz) I would be inclined to return one of my Premiere+ devices and upgrade to the Ultra for the living room. 
0 Kudos
3 Replies
spkay31
Level 7

Re: Premiere+ 3921x frequent reboots

I just checked my firmware version and I am running 9.0. Wanted to make sure I was on the latest f/w.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"spkay31" wrote:
I have two Roku Premiere+ 3921x devices that I have been using on my Vizio TV's for about 5 weeks. For the most part streaming works fine, but occasionally I get stream timeout/reboots on the device connected to the 50" Vizio TV in my living room. I got the Premiere+ because they use the external power adapter and can be located more remotely from the TV and as an engineer I thought have a better power supply and being able to locate the device in a more accessible location would make it work better both for the remote and where there is better airflow to keep it a little cooler. 

But over the past week I would say the device has had to reboot a half dozen or so times which is most concerning during a red zone situation during a football game (happened 2 times). I didn't realize when I bought the Premiere+ that it lacks 5GHz WiFi compatibility but it has worked for a few weeks streaming without a problem for the most part. And my router is not to far (about 9-10ft) from the living room Roku and my throughput tests for all my devices in that area are at near max speed (118Mbps down / 12Mbps up - though I am testing using 5GHz frequency). I am inclined to believe it is less likely to be related to network throughput than to either power or heat related issues with the device since my Router seems to be working fine for all the devices in the house during the periods when reboots occur. 

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Also if others have notice the Ultra is much more reliable than the much smaller Premiere+ (and it offers 5GHz) I would be inclined to return one of my Premiere+ devices and upgrade to the Ultra for the living room. 

"spkay31" wrote:
I just checked my firmware version and I am running 9.0. Wanted to make sure I was on the latest f/w.

FYI: The Roku article on Wikipedia has a good feature comparison. Not the dual-band listings.

Before returning it and spending twice the price on an Ultra, have you tried a different channel for your 2.4 GHz band? Most routers with an Auto selection will pick channel 6. If you can change it, try 1 or 11, as neither of those overlap 6.

Apart from that, you mentioned the separate power supply of the Premiere+ as a plus. Well, the Sticks come with a separate power supply, but many will bypass that for the USB on the TV. If your TV's USB is always powered (one of TVs is that way, one isn't) then you wouldn't encounter the issues that sometimes arise, if the USB is sufficient powered. Still, it has its own power supply. The "point anywhere" remote that your Premiere+ has is similar to the remote for the Sticks. And, the Sticks run the same price as the Premiere+ (Stick 3800) or just slightly higher (Stick+ 3810).

Not trying to talk you out of an Ultra. I really like mine. Just making sure you had all the options in front of you so you can pick what is best for your situation.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@spkay31

Thanks for sharing the observation. Which channels are you watching when this issue occurs? Are you watching a live stream within a channel when this occurs, or streaming from available static content? Have you tried removing the channel, restarting your device, then adding the channel back again to see if this clears up the issue? 

Feel free to PM me with your Roku account email address, and the serial number of the device(s) you observe the issue on, along with the info above. Noting the specific channel(s) and content you observed the issue on, as well as the date/time you last observed the issue would be most helpful. I'll take a closer look and help with additional troubleshooting to see what may be occurring. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos