Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Pre-purchase Specific Questions

Hello! Will be cutting the cable soon.

Happen to have a Roku XD I was given but I can tell it is very old as it has RGB... (and is missing power supply)

My primary use for a Roku or similar device would be Tablo TV app, that app is NOT supported natively on my TV (Sony Bravia). Probably won't use it for much else, but maybe.

Anyway, I like my TV remote and I like the fact that I can control my BluRay player from the TV remote. I hate that I can't even change channels on Cable with the TV remote.

Do any of the modern Roku devices allow controlling them over HDMI from TV remote when plugged into a capable TV? I already know mine is as it controls the BluRay player.

Second question, I really prefer using Ethernet when I can. The old Roku HD does have an Ethernet port but I do not see one on either the Roku Express or Roku Premier.

Is the Roku Ultra the only current device that includes an Ethernet port?

This TV is HD not 4k and I do not really want a 4k TV, I tested and can't visually tell the difference unless the TV is so large that it is not comfortable for me to watch.

Do I really have to by an expensive Roku just to get an Ethernet jack or is there maybe a still supported but older model that I could get with Ethernet?

Thank you for suggestions.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Pre-purchase Specific Questions

Oh I should clarify, external to the Roku topic - using Antenna for television in addition to Tablo TV - the latter is just for DVR. Also will probably use Roku for Sling or similar as doesn't seem to be available on the Sony but I do want more than just broadcast. However I'm lucky to live within 25 miles of a transmitter cluster that has all the major broadcast networks.

But just would be really nice to use my TV remote - change to Roku input and then navigate the Roku with it. Sony makes a really nice remote. If that is possible with Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Yes, the Ultra is the only one with an Ethernet port, unless you find a much older version. I wouldn't recommend something that old, however. No, you won't be able to control the Roku with the TV remote. You could get a universal IR remote that controls both devices, and that would allow a single remote. 

Now the Roku Ultra remote does have the ability to control the power and volume of the TV, so if that's the only thing you want to control while using the Roku that would work. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 8

Thank you. Kind of unfortunate that HDMI specifically allows control of a device over HDMI via software but so few implement it. Also unfortunate that Ethernet is now only available on the most expensive model.

I guess that's what capitalism does, it limits the consumer choices to save a few pennies per device on manufacture.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

The Roku does have some CEC functionality, but it's the volume and mute buttons going towards the TV or AVR. I've never found any control from a TV or AVR remote back to the Roku. I just tried it with my LG TV remote with the Ultra playing something from my media server, and there was no response, not even the pause button. 

Pressing the Home button on the Roku remote will power on my TV and AVR, and ensure both are set to the correct input. So it does have some CEC, but nothing that will control the Roku from another remote. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos