Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Possible my roku is hacked?

Maybe someone on your network is messing with you.  Try disabling control by mobile apps:  Settings->System->Advanced system settings->Control by mobile apps.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tiredofrussia
Level 7

Yes, forgive me but I am tired of people who don’t know what they’re talking about telling people these are likely not hacked. Much like the problem with google home devices the Roku creates an unsafe network  connection to your other devices. The Roku network connections that link nearby devices are a target since it’s easily accessible way to get in your WiFi. My computer was hacked and then these http socket no. Server error messages started coming. Within 10 minutes of logging into any friend or family’s WiFi that has a Roku tv they then get this error message shortly after. From this hack other fake networks have been set up both her and at my girlfriends house where I frequently use the Internet. Security settings have changed on my laptop and some features (ones needed to correct these problems) have been disabled. I’m getting rid of these and also Chinese security cameras from go owl. These seem to have back doors and I have caught someone logging onto these networks aswell. Our government has not done anything to protect us from these type of attacks. I recommend removing any insecure networks from your home. I have heard from people with similar problems that even after buying no devices and even a new router the problem persisted. This remind me of the Russian hack of 2018 where 500,000 million routers (most if not all  of which where made in China) not to wear a tinfoil hat but according to studies from reputable universities the Russian hacker presence is enormous and why we have not blocked Russian servers from this county entirely is beyond me. My identity was stolen through these attacks. I will be calling macafee and Norton and hope others will do the same perhaps the private sector will work harder to find solutions. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Tiredofrussia wrote:

Yes, forgive me but I am tired of people who don’t know what they’re talking about telling people these are likely not hacked. Much like the problem with google home devices the Roku creates an unsafe network connection to your other devices. The Roku network connections that link nearby devices are a target since it’s easily accessible way to get in your WiFi. My computer was hacked and then these http socket no. Server error messages started coming. Within 10 minutes of logging into any friend or family’s WiFi that has a Roku tv they then get this error message shortly after. From this hack other fake networks have been set up both her and at my girlfriends house where I frequently use the Internet. Security settings have changed on my laptop and some features (ones needed to correct these problems) have been disabled. I’m getting rid of these and also Chinese security cameras from go owl. These seem to have back doors and I have caught someone logging onto these networks as well. Our government has not done anything to protect us from these type of attacks. I recommend removing any insecure networks from your home. I have heard from people with similar problems that even after buying no devices and even a new router the problem persisted. This remind me of the Russian hack of 2018 where 500,000 million routers (most if not all  of which where made in China) not to wear a tinfoil hat but according to studies from reputable universities the Russian hacker presence is enormous and why we have not blocked Russian servers from this county entirely is beyond me. My identity was stolen through these attacks. I will be calling MacAfee and Norton and hope others will do the same perhaps the private sector will work harder to find solutions. 

The Roku is in no way making a network connection with any other device. Roku devices are capable of setting up a temporary connection to support the hotel/dorm authentication mode, but that's all it can be used for. Some Roku devices have WiFi Direct remotes, but that connection can only be used by the remote, nothing else can connect via that access point. Roku devices so support screen mirroring from Windows 10 laptops or Android devices, but that is through the general network connection, not any separate connection. The Roku app can control any Roku on the same network, if that function is enabled in the Roku settings, but again that requires both devices to be on the same network.

That's a bummer your identity was hacked, and wish you the best getting it cleared up. But it didn't happen via any Roku device. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Mike225Mike
Level 8

Thank you.  That is what is in the process of happening to me as well.  New routers do not solve the problem, blocking their mac addresses does not work.  Everytime, and I mean everytime I put my Roku on I see these two unknown devices on my network.  And upon clicking on them there is all the private information, serial, mac address etc... all there.  Did a full factory reset, even went as far as to re-image my brand new dell workstation...which was ridiculous.  I could go on but I know you understand.  Did you come across any solutions besides the obvious?   It's getting tiring changing passwords, unplugging roku devices and changing router passwords multiple times a week.  Anyway, just wanted to say you are absolutely right, it is happening.

Mike

0 Kudos
Catlover11
Level 7

Hey... your not alone..... So just a few minutes ago (from when I post this) My roku tv was showing a green light on standby and I asked my friend if she knew because she saw it too when we were on video chat together... I got brave enough to grab the remote for it and I did not touch the power button when my tv turned on.... And for those who are wondering what brand of roku and model it is then here you go: INSIGNIA Roku tv model 5302X.... If anyone knows what it is..... please tell me....

0 Kudos
R-o-k-u-jo
Level 7

Is it possible you have a spare/lost remote pinched in the couch or somewhere the buttons are being depressed?

Also, any Roku remote is universal with any player, so someone clicking at a Roku in a nearby room could interfere with yours.

I would uninstall any older apps you may have downloaded years ago from the Roku store that are no longer supported.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@R-o-k-u-jo wrote:

Is it possible you have a spare/lost remote pinched in the couch or somewhere the buttons are being depressed?

Also, any Roku remote is universal with any player, so someone clicking at a Roku in a nearby room could interfere with yours.

Not really an accurate statement. For IR remotes, a player remote will not control a Roku TV. For WiFi Direct remotes, they will only control the device to which they are linked. I have a Premiere IR remote that I just tried to use on a Roku TV, and it would not do anything to it, and same if I try to use the TV IR remote on the Premiere. Roku Stick players are WiFi Direct only, and cannot be controlled with any IR remote. 

An IR remote cannot control a Roku in another room, as IR requires direct line of sight. It's certainly possible for a stray IR beam to be reflected into another room, but extremely unlikely. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Catlover11
Level 7

Man, Thanks for trying.... But there is a new problem about with that thing..... Anytime I am using My ipod touch when it is sunny and light bounces off the screen, it takes it as an IR beam..... My dad works for IT issues and developement, But even he could not figure it out.... I need a lot of help.....

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Catlover11 wrote:

Man, Thanks for trying.... But there is a new problem about with that thing..... Anytime I am using My ipod touch when it is sunny and light bounces off the screen, it takes it as an IR beam..... My dad works for IT issues and development, But even he could not figure it out.... I need a lot of help.....

Direct sunlight contains IR as well as visible light. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about that other than do your best to keep the sunlight beam from striking the IR window on the Roku (or any other device with IR control). 

Dan

0 Kudos
Catlover11
Level 7

Oh, and it is 9 years old too.... Does that make a difference?

0 Kudos