Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Catlover11
Level 7

Re: Possible my roku is hacked?

One more thing, that tv is mine..... All the other tvs are samsung tvs..

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Catlover11 wrote:

One more thing, that tv is mine..... All the other tvs are samsung tvs..

Different brands have different IR codes, so what affects one brand might not affect a different brand the same. The IR contained in sunlight covers a broad spectrum, and the way it reflects off a surface might trigger the IR sensor in a device. Other than filtering out the IR wavelengths coming through the windows, there's not much you can do about it. Some of the window coatings can reduce the IR wavelengths. Since that's also the wavelengths that provide heat, a heat blocking covering would reduce the IR coming through the windows. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Cbennett28
Level 7

I have 4 roku TVs and last night night kids came running and screaming all 4 of my TVs started making loud noise and being turned up then something popped on saying Get Out my I had to unplug all the TVs

0 Kudos
NewsView
Level 9

Just a thought but I wonder if some of those who are concerned their ROKU was hacked may have bought a ROKU that was previously tampered with? Apparently there are a lot of activation scams, some of which insist you have to call a number or pay money. If these units were tampered with before they were sold, it could explain the behavior. If there is a hack, most likely it occurred by some other means — but once the hacker is in they would theoretically be able to have access to anything on the same network, including your ROKUs. For this reason, hardwire your connections, using ethernet vs. WiFi if at all possible (although that's getting harder to do as manufacturers stupidly drop ethernet connectivity). As an alternative, look into setting up a VPN (virtual private network) for your home. Similarly, keep your router updated with the latest firmware and security patches. Next, make sure nobody in your household is visiting shady websites (malware problems often originate with adult websites or by clicking links in unsolicited emails asking you to reset passwords or unlock personal accounts). Consider, also, that it might not have been the ROKU that allowed a hacker in. If you have other devices in your home — such as Ring or Nest — make sure to change the default passwords to ensure your network isn't vulnerable. If you run networked security cameras or similar, isolate them on a "Guest" network so that they don't have access to your main home network (use different SSIDs and passwords). When nobody is home and you aren't using your WiFi network — i.e. at night, on vacation or while at work/school — turn it off.

0 Kudos
Catlover11
Level 7

This tv is really old. Probably from 2012-13. Doesn't do much and is really slow. I only have  two remotes for it and one is connected to my fire tv stick. I keep them both in a safe place. Never in my life have I had a couch in my room. However IR could be the reason. The sunlight is always in here. And as I am sitting here, We have a new problem. When I turn it on it loops an EAS.

0 Kudos