Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Possible my roku is hacked?

My roku seems to be possessed, is it possible it is hacked? Both the roku on my TCL TV and streaming stick goes all wiggy.  Apps selected automatically, menu selections chosen at random.  It's like someone is controlling the TV.   After fighting with I was able to access the setting to turn off being able to control it with a phone app but it still happens.

This is the strangest thing. Anybody got a clue what's going on and how to fix it? 

13 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Possible my roku is hacked?

Both of them are doing this, eh? Bizarre.

I assume you have both using wifi. Is anyone using a Microwave when this happens?

I would try a System restart.

Doubtful its been hacked.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Yes, both and I reset the main TV on the advice of TCL when I thought it was just the on TV.  Then we thought of checking the other one. 

Is it possible to reset my roku account? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Probably but I dont think thats the problem.

I'm talking resetting the Roku OS from within the app.

Home to

Settings/system/system restart

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I've restarted everything and reset all my passwords, relinked the devices.  They are updating overnight.  But I did find this which is exactly what's going on. Maybe someone from Roku can chime in. 

https://www.consumerreports.org/televisions/samsung-roku-smart-tvs-vulnerable-to-hacking-consumer-re...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

It’s eery that you link you posted is no longer available. I have tried EVERYTHING, and it still presses what it wants, and when it wants. I stupidly reset my tv, and now I’m not even connected to my WiFi. Because the remote and tv are so jacked up I can’t even get signed back into my wireless network. This is ridiculous. I’m very leary about purchasing another remote, because it’d make it remote #3.  Any new suggestions?

@Keithb414 wrote:

I've restarted everything and reset all my passwords, relinked the devices.  They are updating overnight.  But I did find this which is exactly what's going on. Maybe someone from Roku can chime in. 

https://www.consumerreports.org/televisions/samsung-roku-smart-tvs-vulnerable-to-hacking-consumer-re...

@Keithb414 wrote:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Sounds exactly like what happened to my Samsung Galaxy Sky Android. I was talking and suddenly the line just went dead and different pages/items/programs/whatever, just started flipping across the screen non stoppable...and the only way I could stop it, or turn the phone off was to remove the battery. Android didn't last long after that. Only thing I could think was that it had been hacked. But I'm not positive of anything...it just sounded familiar.

Maybe it is your Roku unit that has gone bonkers...or perhaps your remote.

I have a Roku stick USB flash drive unit I use downstairs...to bad I can't loan it to you to test and see if it is your Roku or remote. Then you would know. And perhaps it was hacked...I certainly hope not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I had to deactivate my Roku account and set up a new one.  That fixed everything. 

Resetting didn't work.  

Highlighted
Level 17

Good hope it stays fixed for ya.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am having the same problem. When watching any content, my TCL Roku TV suddenly changes over to Netflix and tries to get me to sign up. The remote becomes entirely disabled, including the off switch. The uncommanded selection happens even after removing the channel, where it then suddenly goes to Netflix's "add channel" page. You can hear the remote audio feedback making the selection, simulating it's been hacked or possessed. There is no escape except to unplug, the redirect happens again within 2 minutes. Resetting my TV/Roku setup (button) activated all correctly, but didn't stop it. My TV is unplugged and unusable.

0 Kudos