Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Swoods
Level 7

Poor sound quality coming through apps like Netflix and Hulu.

Hopefully someone can help me. I have searched and searched with no one having the same issues as me. I have a 60” 4K TCL connected to a Yamaha receiver via HDMI ARC. The only other thing I have connected to the receiver is a Sony Blu-ray player connected via HDMI as well. I have 5 channel speakers. When watching a Blu-ray the sound quality is amazing (as it should be). However, when watching Hulu, Netflix, Disney. + the sound quality is sub par. I have checked settings through my AVR as well as the TV, read forum after forum and haven’t seen anything that I haven’t already done. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Swoods
Level 7

Re: Poor sound quality coming through apps like Netflix and Hulu.

For more information, I have the HDMI going from HDMI out to HDMI ARC in the tv. The sound with play only through ‘audio’ input. 

0 Kudos
NTM23
Level 9

It is hard to pinpoint the issue without a little more detail, like capabilities of your Yamaha receiver (as in Dolby Digital, DTS etc.) That said, that may not matter. Make sure you have auto-detect selected on your TV. I am curious as to why Disney+ would have issue as that doesn't require any extra subscription to get the most out of its audio. Hulu, last I checked, doesn't offer surround sound. Netflix, like all other streaming services that support surround sound is dependant on your internet connection. Also know that you get better audio by plugging things (like Blu-ray player or game console) into HDMI In on your receiver as ARC itself can't do things like Dolby TrueHD/Atmos. It can do Atmos by Dolby Digital Plus. Make sure CEC is enabled. The HDMI out on your receiver to ARC on the TV is correct.

Edit - Looked it up, I guess Hulu does now do 4k and surround sound. I haven't looked too deep into that though.

0 Kudos
Swoods
Level 7

Thank you for the reply and further looking into the issue. My AVR does have Dolby, DTS, the works. Yamaha natural sound AV receiver RX-V377 I have had auto detect selected for awhile but in my recent searches for an answer to my current problem I read on this forum not to use auto detect and instead do anything without a plus. 

I do know Blu-ray via HDMI sounds  exponentially better. I have sound coming through all 5 channel speakers but when watching in the aforementioned apps, you can’t even tell sound is coming through any of them except the front center. The only way I know sound is coming through the others is to put my ear to the speaker which leads me to believe it’s pushing stereo through all 5 channels but not true 5.1 

Edited to add I do have CEC selected. 

0 Kudos
NTM23
Level 9

That is strange. I'm not sure how your receiver works, but on my 5.1.4 sound system, I have to select an input so it isn't doing HDMI In but HDMI-ARC. Does your system auto switch or do you have to make sure to change it as well? I would also go back to auto-detect or select the sound that most closely resembles what your system can do. If your receiver can do 'Dolby Digital Plus, DTS' which is under the S/PDIF and ARC menu on your TV, select that. In the ARC portion, I just have ARC enabled, no 1-touch or system standby. I don't think that'd affect it though. Also, check the specs of not only your sound system, but check whether your TVs ARC can passthrough the audio you want. This doesn't matter to sound, but since I am at it, also make sure that on TV Inputs you have all the ARCs, especially 3, which I assume is what it is on your TV as well, is set to HDMI 2.0. Back to audio, have speakers set to off. That shouldn't have any effect on it, but I am just trying to eliminate any issues. If your receiver can't do DD+, then yes, select auto-detect or Dolby Digital, DTS.

0 Kudos