Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_toby_barrett_
Level 7

Poor picture quality (esp dark areas) on Roku Express HD

Hi I have recently purchased the above with the hope of having all streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, NowTV, Disney all in on place).

It works but I've noticed that the picture quality is very poor. It's blocky in large areas and especially in darker tones. It's the same on all streaming services. 

I know it's not an issue with my broadband or wi-fi as I can view Netflix on both my Blu-Ray player and old NowTV box and the problem does not appear on these.

I've searched these forums and there was some advice that the display should be set to 720. Why would I do this on a 1080 TV?

Any ideas? About to chuck the Roku out as a bad job. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
_toby_barrett_
Level 7

Re: Poor picture quality (esp dark areas) on Roku Express HD

Bump. No one else seen this? 

Guess I have a faulty box.

0 Kudos
52x11
Level 7

Re: Poor picture quality (esp dark areas) on Roku Express HD

I have a similar problem. When viewing an HD video directly from a source's website using the TV's built in browser compared to it's Roku channel the web based video has better definition and color. The internet video is 1080p, just like the Roku stream should be. This is on a web enabled 4K TV, and both the TV and Roku (of course) are connecting over wifi, just a few feet below my router. The difference isn't like that between SD and HD, or a standard DVD and HD, it's more subtle but definitely there and it detracts from the viewing experience.

0 Kudos