Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
salmo
Level 7

Poor color quality to video

I have a Roku Express (3900R) connected to an older Panasonic PT-50LC13 rear-projection TV. This pairing works, but the picture quality is terrible. There's a purple tint to the video, and it's like the tint and contrast settings are out of whack. To be clear: this is not the purple screen of death so widely reported. I can see video, it just looks bad.

This TV does not have an HDMI input, but it does have a DVI digital input. I use an HDMI-to-DVI adapter with the signal going through an HDMI switch/audio extractor, and the audio going to component inputs. This setup works perfectly with computers or DVD players sending their HDMI output to the TV. The picture quality with those inputs is great -- only the Roku has this problem.

The TV supports 720p, reports a 720p input detected, and the Roku is set to 720p.

Just to confirm that the HDMI switch is not causing the problem, I connected the Roku directly to the TV, and the problem persists. It also persists with all three HDMI cables I've tested.

What am I missing? Does anyone know what's going on with this purplish video?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Heyitsrick
Level 11

Re: Poor color quality to video

I found a non-Roku posting about someone with your series set that had the purplish tint. The online repair people thought it was an internal issue with the TV, but the person who had the issue eventually found out it was a cable issue.

Don't get caught up on "but it works fine with other devices" argument. Try different/better HDMI cables. Otherwise, you'll just be spinning your wheels.  

Link:  https://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/8dl6h-panasonic-pt-60lc13-purple-tint-picture.html
0 Kudos
salmo
Level 7

Thanks for the tip. I've already tried three different HDMI cables, two of which were expensive good-quality cables, but this did remind me of the more likely weak link in the system, namely the HDMI-DVI adapter. That was just something cheap I found in a drawer. I'll see if I can find something better and see if it makes a difference.
0 Kudos
salmo
Level 7

No luck. It wasn't the cable and it wasn't the adapter. I got a new adapter cable (a good one) going direct from the HDMI out of the Roku to the DVI in of the TV, and it's still dim, off-color, and low-contrast, to the point that it's unwatchable. I've got to think it's a basic incompatibility between the Roku and either a DVI input or a projection TV.

Unless someone has any other ideas, this Roku is going to gather dust until someday I get tired of this TV (not likely any time soon) or it dies. In the mean time, I'll continue to watch via the laptop that's also connected. At least that works.
0 Kudos