Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TinkersMom
Level 7

Poor Color and Flickering Screen

I just set up my Roku 2 today and everything works fine except that the color is very poor and there are flickering lines on the screen. I checked the cables and they are in securely. No buffering problems, no problems getting any channel, no issues at all except the poor color and the flickering! Please forgive me if I sound simple, I am not a technological person at all! Can anyone give me some idea of what else I can try? Just now as I am typing this the color is almost completely gone except for a purplish hue. I don't have HDMI port on my TV it's an older model Sony projection TV.
0 Kudos
35 Replies
stratcat96
Level 7

Re: Poor Color and Flickering Screen

do you have the Roku display the set to an HD display? If you're using the composite cables, they only support 480i.. Try setting it to the 16:9 display type and see if the clears it up.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"stratcat96" wrote:
do you have the Roku display the set to an HD display? If you're using the composite cables, they only support 480i.. Try setting it to the 16:9 display type and see if the clears it up.

+1

Should fix you right up, but if it doesn't report back and we'll analyze the situation.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
TinkersMom
Level 7

Thank you for your help, I changed the display setting as you suggested and there is no change, still flickering color bands on the home screen and when I play a movie the color is almost completely gone. I powered off the TV and the Roku box (unplugged and plugged back in) and that didn't help, neither did a reset. You guys are awesome!
0 Kudos
shanson
Level 7

I'm having the same issue at the original poster. I have the Roku 2 XS hooked up to an older standard def rear projection Sony TV. The colors aren't coming through correctly. They just constantly flicker. I hooked it up to an HDTV with the component cables and the colors are fine. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Crazy_mama
Level 7

Also have color problem with Roku2-XS connected to rear projection Sony KP-41T65. Unit connected to good wireless signal, updated successfully, fully operational with no flicker, no pixellation, etc. except for severe color shift on all menus, boot screen, and video. Roku operates flawlessly with all other household tvs using RCA cable & inputs. All other devices (DVD, VCR, VGA to TV converter) operate flawlessly on all Sony's RCA inputs, with correct convergence, color, video, etc. Screen aspect setting has no effect. Live chat tech support found no solution other than to refer back to tv vender regarding rca inputs (after extensive testing/power cycling/factory reset, etc.) If the unit or cable were defective, it would seem that there would be problems on other tvs. If the Sony's inputs were defective, it would seem that other devices would have problems with the tv. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
shdware
Level 7

This sounds to me as though you have the cable plugged into component ports (rather than composite).

The composite cable should have red (left audio) white (right audio) and yellow (video) plugs. They should be plugged into similar ports on the television -- definitely matching the color. Component plugs require three for video alone, and are red, green and blue in color.
4200R [Roku 3]

Formerly:
3100X [Roku 2 XS]
2050X [Roku XD]

42" VIZIO via HDMI @ 1080p
Comcast 20Mbit
0 Kudos
shanson
Level 7

That's not the case for me. I'm hooking them up to the composite ports (yellow, red, white). I'm 100% positive it is hooked up correctly. It seems like it might be a compatibility issue with older Sony TVs...
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

What's the make/model of the TV?

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
shanson
Level 7

It's a Sony KP-53V85. Standard def rear projection TV. Thanks.
0 Kudos