Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RickM
Level 7

Playback freezes with Apple TV+

I have a Roku Streaming Stick Plus connected to an LG OLED TV with gigabit internet connectivity and fast, strong WiFi. I have no problems with playback from Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, etc. But I tried to watch the new "Greyhound" movie on Apple TV+ last night and it froze for 3-5 seconds (both audio and video) multiple times during the movie. Sometimes I just lost the audio for a moment and other times both audio and video locked up, then restarted on their own a few seconds later at a point in the movie ahead of the freeze. I tried rebooting the Roku Stick, restarting the TV, uninstalling the Apple TV+ app from Roku and reinstalling it and none of it helped. I'm current on the Roku firmware. The problem appears to go away if I turn off HDR on the Roku Stick, although I haven't gone through a whole movie with that setting.

The problem does not seem to appear if I play the same movie via the Apple TV+ interface on my iMac, although I didn't watch the whole movie again on my Mac.

I spoke to Apple support and they referred me back to Roku. Anyone got suggestions?

Labels (2)
29 Replies
Oresti
Level 7

Re: Playback freezes with Apple TV+

Tag for a solution because I’m experiencing the exact same problems as the OP while watching the same movie.

0 Kudos
RickM
Level 7

Try turning off the HDR or "automatic" setting on your Roku. I now have mine set to 4K 60Hz and it seems to have prevented the freezes.  But that means I can't watch HDR movies with HDR. Hopefully some Roku engineer will jump in to solve this.

Frank2
Level 8

Thanks Rick. Same problem and parameters here. Roku says it's operating with 17Mbps download speed. Apple support response says you need at least 8Mbps.  Our other services show no problem with HDR content. I have the 3810X stick.

cbd1
Level 8

Same here with a Premiere +

I hope there is a fix soon because we are having to watch AppleTV+ content on a Fire TV 4k and the family has a hard time with its interface (I mean.. it's terrible).

jaycbax
Level 7

I have the exact same issue. I wonder if had to do with an update to the Apple TV app update? 

Guinness
Level 7

Thanks RickM, that seems to have resolved my issue.

0 Kudos
rob374
Level 7

Same here with Roku Express 3930EU.  Was OK until the software was updated to 9.30 build 4194-AE three days ago.

0 Kudos
Antmou
Level 8

Same here

0 Kudos
Jmcntoo
Level 7

I'm having the EXACT same issues.

Following thread to see if there's an update

0 Kudos