Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kirasar

Play on Roku crashing and unstable

I'm going to get this out of the way:

Roku TV: 7215X

Hisense model: 55R6+

Serial number: YNOONU410953

Software version: 10.5.0 build 4210-39

I've had to write this twice now because thanks Roku for making me sign in *after* trying to post the first time. GG. 

My issue is particularly with the Play on Roku (and only this so far) built-in program's media cast function to cast videos from my phone's storage (Galaxy S20 FE 5G, model SM-G781U) using the official Roku remote app from the Play Store. After using it for several months, it suddenly started degrading in stability very quickly at the beginning of this last week. 

It started off with the media controls causing the program on the TV to freeze up and crash, hard. The system will do a full reboot (turns off, back on, Hisense splash screen, sometimes starts over at this point before finally booting to the home page). I thought I could just avoid the issue by letting it play without messing with the controls, but a few days later it refused to play for more than 20 seconds, sometimes less, if it managed to at all.

Yes, I've updated the software on the TV and my phone; I tried removing channels I knew we hadn't been using (but the fact that we've not done anything different over the last year as far as installations go it didn't make sense as to why it could affect it); I've unplugged the TV, it's been so since I first set out on this novel. I've done everything I can find, shy of doing a factory reset since I don't want to take the risk of potentially getting logged out of the apps that are on there. 

I'm at the end of our rope here Roku, give me a reason not to let go of it. 

Tags (4)
0 Kudos