Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kavster
Channel Surfer

Picture is smaller than screen!

Hello,

For some reason, since we updated our Roku box, at random times our pictures displays smaller than the TV size. It's not a setting with the TV itself that is the problem, as the actual Roku output is full size (as you can see from the play/pause etc), but the actual video is small and compressed in the corner.

The only way to resolve the problem is to keep reseting the box, but then after a while it starts doing it again. I've checked every setting I can think of, but nothing seems to work.

Please help!

https://ibb.co/qFJ5CNW

IMG-4860.jpg

31 REPLIES 31
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Picture is smaller than screen!

Thanks for including the photo.  It makes it very clear what you are seeing.

I'm guessing this occurs when returning from an ad that is sent at a different resolution than the main program but it fails to reset when the ad ends.

Since the control display seems to be normal size, I'm not too hopeful this will help, but ..

Try going to Settings > Display type and setting it to your TV's actual resolution, rather than "Auto detect".

When you change the Display type to a new setting it runs you through several screens:

• A screen where you can choose from the available options on that device.
  • A screen where it analyzes your choice to be sure your tv supports it, then gives the option of trying that choice if you wish.
  • A screen with a countdown timer and two choices:
        Yes, screen looks good
        No, I will choose a different setting
    The "No" option is highlighted by default. To keep the screen resolution you're currently trying, you need to arrow up to the "Yes" option and click on it before the timer runs out.
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
kavster
Channel Surfer

Thank you for your reply!

I went into the settings and made the changes exactly as you describe, but unfortunately the error still occasionally appears. It's a really strange one!

kavster
Channel Surfer

Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm still having this problem, and happens daily now.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @kavster

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Does the picture issue only happen on a specific channel or across other channels installed on your Roku? If it's just one channel, removing the channel and then re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.

• Note: If you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before you see the Remove channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.

2. Restart your Roku device: If it is inconvenient to reach the power cord to unplug your Roku device, you can restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System restart > Restart.

3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

• Note: If you are adding a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you will need to resubscribe.

Keep us posted on how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
kavster
Channel Surfer

@RokuKariza-D 

Thanks for your reply.

This happens across multiple channels. And there seems to be no pattern or obvious cause as to why it's happening.

I've tried doing all the available resets I can do, restoring to factory and starting from scratch, but all seems to be the same.

As I said in the original post, it only started doing it from the update that was released around that time.

There has been another update (maybe 2) since, but they haven't solved the problem.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Thanks for letting us know all that you've done, @kavster

Can you please provide us the following information:

-Roku device model
-Serial number
-Device ID
-Software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
kavster
Channel Surfer

@RokuKariza-D 

-Roku device model - 3920EU - Roku Premiere
-Serial number - YH001U919864
-Device ID - 062991919864
-Software OS/version - 9.4.0 (Build 4210-91)

-Does this issue occur on a specific channel? - No, happens across any channel at random.

-Tracker ID when this issue occurs - 64-186-325

This happens at random unpredictable times, I can't give any specific steps to replicate the error, as we don't know when it happens.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Thanks @kavster

I have passed along the information you have provided to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, we will make sure to update the Community.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
kavster
Channel Surfer

@RokuKariza-D 

Thank you, can you ensure that an update is posted here (on this thread) too, when there is one please?

0 Kudos