Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HomePhi
Level 7

Picture distorted after 8.1.0 update

Since the update to 8.1.0, the picture is being stretched vertically on every app (e.g., Amazon, Hulu, Netflix). Each app's menu screen is distorted, and the programs are distorted as well. The distortion never goes away. I tried toggling the aspect ratio between 4:3 and 16:9 in the Roku settings, but this did no good. I restarted the Roku and my modem. I was not having this problem before the update on 5/31. The problem is not with the TV itself (which has no way to change the aspect ratio; too old for that!). Any help is appreciated!

My details:
Roku 1, connected to analog TV via composite
Connected to internet via wireless; Fiber
Box serial number: 1XH52M001708
Signal strength: Excellent
0 Kudos
12 Replies
adolfojp
Level 7

Re: Picture distorted after 8.1.0 update

I'm having the same problem. I run a Roku 1 (2710X) on an old 4:3 TV and everything is now distorted. I tried to contact support but I couldn't find an option.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"adolfojp" wrote:
I'm having the same problem. I run a Roku 1 (2710X) on an old 4:3 TV and everything is now distorted. I tried to contact support but I couldn't find an option.

It's annoying, but available. You have to go through the self-help steps on the Roku web site, and at the end you receive contact information. I understand their desire of having people try the more common solutions, but it shouldn't be so hard to get the contact info.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
HomePhi
Level 7

I did the self-help steps, and it says at the end of the steps that there is no customer support available for my model.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I didn't realize they cut off support for the older versions. But since that model was introduced in Sept 2013, it is getting a little long in the tooth. Unfortunately, many businesses stop supporting older products, even though they are still serviceable. I have a 2 XS that's even older than yours, and I retired it almost two years ago because it had such poor performance. The Express + is the only current model with composite out and supports the old TVs, if you decide it's time to upgrade.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"HomePhi" wrote:
I did the self-help steps, and it says at the end of the steps that there is no customer support available for my model.

"atc98092" wrote:
I didn't realize they cut off support for the older versions. But since that model was introduced in Sept 2013, it is getting a little long in the tooth. Unfortunately, many businesses stop supporting older products, even though they are still serviceable. I have a 2 XS that's even older than yours, and I retired it almost two years ago because it had such poor performance. The Express + is the only current model with composite out and supports the old TVs, if you decide it's time to upgrade.

I don't recall seeing a notice that Roku had dropped support for any second-generation devices, and certainly nothing about third generation devices (such as the Roku 1/SE model 2710).

HomePhi: Are you certain you were looking at information for the Roku 1, and not first generation devices? Some people still call first gen devices "Roku 1" even though that's incorrect. Just making certain you weren't in the wrong support area. Your Roku 1 (model 2710) is a third gen device.

Perhaps RokuShawnS can offer some insight to support ending on those devices?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
HomePhi
Level 7

I go to "contact customer support" on the Roku webpage, and it asks what the problem is. I select "Questions about setting or using my Roku." It then asks me to select my product. The Roku 1 is not listed, so I must select "Other Roku player." Then I must select my issue, and no matter which one I choose, it says "Agent-assisted support is not available for your issue and/or model."

Is there some other place I should be looking for a means to contact customer support?

I'd rather not pay for a new Roku given that my current one worked fine until it updated on 5/31. Clearly, this is some sort of problem with the update.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"HomePhi" wrote:
I go to "contact customer support" on the Roku webpage, and it asks what the problem is. I select "Questions about setting or using my Roku." It then asks me to select my product. The Roku 1 is not listed, so I must select "Other Roku player." Then I must select my issue, and no matter which one I choose, it says "Agent-assisted support is not available for your issue and/or model."

Is there some other place I should be looking for a means to contact customer support?

I'd rather not pay for a new Roku given that my current one worked fine until it updated on 5/31. Clearly, this is some sort of problem with the update.

I think I found the menu you're talking about. I've not received the notice you've received. I'm getting links to all kinds of setup and troubleshooting pages. Of course, none of them address the specific issue. The search doesn't seem to help. That is, it returns the same general setup pages.

So, I'm now wondering why your experience at https://support.roku.com/ is so different than mine. Where are you? Are you in the US? If so, are you near the border? I have seen some ISPs near the border actually report a location outside the US. Roku support page may not handle that well, if you have a US account but are accessing from a non-US IP address on the support page.

FYI: I don't have easy access to a Roku 1, so I can't test that device, but I have set up my old Roku LT. But, I don't have a tube TV. I have connected via the composite input on my TV, so I'm kinda mimicing what you're experiencing. But, the fact I have a 16:9 screen may not give me a true troubleshooting platform. Add to that, my LT only updated to 8.0.0 b4128-02 meaning I can't test the impact of 8.1 on a device that outputs composite.

If you're on a tube TV, you should be using Settings > Display type > 4:3 standard to get a proper picture. Perhaps some more with a Roku 1 and 8.1 can chime in with their situation.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
HomePhi
Level 7

I appreciate the help, Basil!

I think we're looking at the same support page (https://support.roku.com/). I too searched through the support pages there and found nothing about my issue. So, I clicked "contact customer support" at the bottom of the page (https://support.roku.com/contactus) and got the choices I mentioned in my last post (no option to select Roku 1, etc.). When anyone else clicks "contact customer support," do they get an option for Roku 1? I'm guessing you won't. I'm in Pittsburgh, and I use Verizon Fios.

My Roku was already set to 4:3, but the first thing I did when I noticed the picture distortion was to go into the settings and make sure the 4:3 aspect ratio was still selected. It was indeed, but I switched it to 16:9 and back to 4:3 again just to be sure, and the problem persists.

Has anyone with a Roku 1 and an ancient TV been able to fix this problem? I thought about resetting everything to factory defaults, but then there's no way to stop the Roku from updating itself to 8.1.0 again.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"HomePhi" wrote:
I appreciate the help, Basil!

I think we're looking at the same support page (https://support.roku.com/). I too searched through the support pages there and found nothing about my issue. So, I clicked "contact customer support" at the bottom of the page (https://support.roku.com/contactus) and got the choices I mentioned in my last post (no option to select Roku 1, etc.). When anyone else clicks "contact customer support," do they get an option for Roku 1? I'm guessing you won't. I'm in Pittsburgh, and I use Verizon Fios.

My Roku was already set to 4:3, but the first thing I did when I noticed the picture distortion was to go into the settings and make sure the 4:3 aspect ratio was still selected. It was indeed, but I switched it to 16:9 and back to 4:3 again just to be sure, and the problem persists.

Has anyone with a Roku 1 and an ancient TV been able to fix this problem? I thought about resetting everything to factory defaults, but then there's no way to stop the Roku from updating itself to 8.1.0 again.

I have access to a Roku 1 (family member) but don't have an old TV.

I'm gonna suggest you ask RokuShawnS (the primary moderator for this Forum) to open a ticket, if he is able. He'll need the information listed here: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44685
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos