Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thisproductfail
Channel Surfer

Picture cutting in and out

I have 4 Roku's and three different models. I have issues with my screen cutting in and out periodically on the Ultra. I have replaced the HDMI cord 4 times and it fixes the issue for a short amount of time before the problem resumes. There is literally no one you can talk to for reimbursement or tech support. Very disappointing client experience for a faulty device. 

16 REPLIES 16
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Picture cutting in and out

You may well have an Ultra with an intermittent problem.  Before giving up on it, though, try:

• A different HDMI port on the tv if there is one. 
  • A different tv if you have one.
  • Blowing out the HDMI ports on both the Roku and tv to be sure there's no dust accumulation preventing good electrical contact.
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
mtdakota

My Ultra just started doing this too.  It is about a year old and has been operating fine.  No changes to configuration.  It does seem to be associated with a recent software update rolled out by Roku, according to my observations, but I see that others have complained about this since last Spring.  Some are saying that getting a Roku did not solve the problem.  That is odd.  What are we supposed to do if Roku company is not interested in this?

Thisproductfail
Channel Surfer

Agreed. It is extremely irritating. I am going to keep posting until I get a response from someone. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Thisproductfail 

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps that @makaiguy has suggested to you?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Thisproductfail
Channel Surfer

I certainly have! I have tried 4 different HDMI cords, tried new ports and everything in between. The device itself is faulty not the cords or "dust". 

I'm surprised this is the answer. Blow it out? You did this with the original Nintendo. The HDMI cords do not get unplugged so how is dust going to get in the port? Try a new TV. How does trying it on a different TV supposed to Fix the problem. I

m having the same issues with both my ROKU. I think it is the last update that is causing issues. Both my TV's are under 2 years old and I purchased both Roku's with in the past 8 months. 

Dobrys

I have the same problem resetting the Roku seems to help it for a little bit but after long periods of time of watching the cutting in and out comes back. HDMI cables are brand new TV is two weeks old

0 Kudos

I guess it's time to give up on Roku and get Google Chromecast 

igotmark
Reel Rookie

Though skeptical, I did unplug my Roku Ultra for 30 seconds and while back there literally blew out the HDMI port and HDMI plug. Upon restart I was given the message "Your system has been reset to UHD (Ultra High Definition) .. I may have set my settings to the wrong definition along the way. I have a 4K QLED Samsung Smart TV. Display type was automatically reset to (auto detect), mine being  4K HDR (10) at 60 Hz, HDCP 2.2. Initially, this solved my picture cutting in and out problem. But Also, the next day, The Problem WAS and IS Back. Disappointed. 

0 Kudos