Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brewbud
Reel Rookie

Picture and audio cutting in and out

My Ultra has been cutting out video and sound for almost a year now.  I keep coming back to the forum to see if there is an answer.    New cable does not help.  Removing power for a minute will help for an hour to sometimes a day or so.  I was thinking about buying a new one but it might be time for something else.  My older Roku never did this.

5 REPLIES 5
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Picture cutting in and out

Hi @Brewbud

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Does the picture and audio issue only occur on a specific channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device? If it's just on one channel, you can try removing the app > restart your Roku device > re-install the channel. 

You can refer to this link for detailed instructions: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Please keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Picture and audio cutting in and out

@Brewbud wrote:

My Ultra has been cutting out video and sound for almost a year now.  I keep coming back to the forum to see if there is an answer.    New cable does not help.  Removing power for a minute will help for an hour to sometimes a day or so.  I was thinking about buying a new one but it might be time for something else.  My older Roku never did this.

You didnt mention your Roku model # or firmware version:  Settings/System/About

You also havent provided details of your connection (TV brand/model, AVR or soundbar, etc).

If its a 4800:

1) If 4K HDR TV - disable "HDR Always on":  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings/HDR Always on=off

2) Disable audio transcoding:  Settings/Audio/HDMI=Auto passthrough

All Ultras:

1)  Manually set resolution:  Settings/Display type (select your display type) - do not use auto

2) Enable/disable framerate matching:  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings/Auto adjust display refresh rate

Brewbud
Reel Rookie

Re: Picture cutting in and out

It happens on all channels.  Each cutout is for 1 to 3 seconds.  Once it starts acting up they occur a few minutes apart

0 Kudos
Skwerth

This solution worked for my Ultra. Thanks @StreamerUser 

All Ultras:

1)  Manually set resolution:  Settings/Display type (select your display type) - do not use auto

2) Enable/disable framerate matching:  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings/Auto adjust display refresh rate

0 Kudos
rstruitt
Reel Rookie

Wired ConnectionWired Connection

Wireless ConnectionWireless Connection

I have some real good luck in chasing down the intermittent Sound & Video drops on my Roku Ultra 2022 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision. As I understand it the Roku Ultra's max speed is 100 Mbps down and I almost get that wired with Cat5e on a gigabit network with 600 Mbps down from my ISP.  So decided to try my WiFi instead and to my surprise the speed almost doubled (Wi-Fi 6) as you can see from the included pic's. Once I did this my Audio/Video drops reduced by a good 95%+. So this tells me it's a issue that lands right on Roku's doorstep. This is purely a Bandwidth vs Processor speed problem. I am a car nut and there is a saying in the car world "There is no replacement for cubic  displacement" A faster processor and the capability to handle increased download speeds will end the problem.  FYI Roku guys I love your products and I would gladly pay more for a Roku with a faster processor and increased bandwidth.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos