Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ben21
Level 7

Picture Problem (overscan/picture seems zoomed all around)

I also found this same problem long time ago, and it is not a TV settings problem but a Roku limitation.
To prove that I create from scratch a JPEG file with exactly 1920x1080 pixel of my TV, and has a 5 pixel white border as a frame. I also put "abcde" on every corner.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4P86aiGiZyAMV8zNUxiWGozZVpiOFNhU3h3QnhkVnlZbHRj
See what happens when I see the picture directly from a USB from my TV:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4P86aiGiZyAdm9Nc0RsaEJHbG5lVU5YQ2RQblllUEU0cUxB
It looks exactly as planned: 100%view. Meaning, my TV is absolutely fine tuned for the image size. Period!

Now see the same picture loaded through the USB from Roku (used "Roku media player" app):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4P86aiGiZyAdnZjWU5VRHc3RFhubUtYQjh0VlhJVnRzU1lj
No white frame at all; and no "a" on the left; no "e" on the right.
You can try my "Size.jpg" file and confirm for yourselves.

To be precise Roku picture is hiding 14 millimeters on the top and 23 millimeters on the bottom!!! Unacceptable!
This means that it is Roku that should have a picture resizing setting to make sure you see 100% of the image.

I contacted Roku and it looks like they didn't get that.

ANY SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
renojim
Level 10

Re: Picture Problem (overscan/picture seems zoomed all aroun

Your TV may be fine tuned for the image size, but it's not fine tuned for the input used. Comparing something connected to your TV's USB port to something connected to your TV's HDMI port is meaningless. You need to find a "zoom" setting or something similar for the HDMI input. There may or may not be one as I have a cheap TV that absolutely will not display something connected to the HDMI port without cropping it on all sides.

-JT
0 Kudos
Ben21
Level 7

Is there any TV on the market with picture resize setting per input channel? I don't know any. My TV has 4 hdmi, should each one have resize settings? Amazon Fire TV media box has this resize picture setting and works just fine. My Sony Blu-ray player also had it. The awesome Roku is the only device that doesn't have it.
By the way, my TV is a LG 55la7400 55inch 3d 1080p smart TV.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

What kind of Roku, and what is the display setting set to?
1080p and 720p may have different overscan properties for your tv.
rokudale
0 Kudos
Ben21
Level 7

Actually, I have two Roku 3 devices at home: one in my 55inch TV set for 1080p and one on a 24inch TV set for 720p. Both devices "hide" picture when displaying that picture JPEG you saw on my first post above or when watching youtube videos from the Roku app.
If I change the TV settings to match Roku, then the Youtube App of the Smart TV would be out-sized.
So, normally, it's the device attached that should have a setting to play with, but Roku doesn't have Smiley Sad
You cna check how the engineers from AmaxonFire Tv solve this very old problem (since the first DVD players came around):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNPpceeZcdg
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 8

"Ben2" wrote:
Is there any TV on the market with picture resize setting per input channel? I don't know any. My TV has 4 hdmi, should each one have resize settings? Amazon Fire TV media box has this resize picture setting and works just fine. My Sony Blu-ray player also had it. The awesome Roku is the only device that doesn't have it.
By the way, my TV is a LG 55la7400 55inch 3d 1080p smart TV.

My TV (a fairly cheap Sansui 1080p) has an overscan setting in the menu for each input (4 HDMI, of which I only use one as my AVR has 5, plus composite, component, and VGA, and of course R/F). So yes, there are TVs on the market with them. Why anyone would choose overscan over no overscan is beyond me though.

This is seperate from any "zoom" settings, which also can be set for each input. Again, why anyone would choose zoom over no zoom (except for windowboxed content, or anamorphic SD, or 4:3 OAR that some stupid provider stretched to 16:9), is also beyond me.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
bry_coop
Level 7

Re: Picture Problem (overscan/picture seems zoomed all around)

I am looking to get a SIMPLE answer to this question but seams like I find everything but.  
I unplugged my Insignia Roku TV and then plugged it back in.  I mostly watch Youtube on the 55" screen, but now the screen does not show the full screen.  The screen is like it has 
ZOOMED in and I only see 75% of the video.  Isn't there a simple way to fix this?  I use a Fire Stick for reception.  
0 Kudos