Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Will Roku OS11 fix the 4K HDR issue on Paramount+ channel?

Jump to solution

@Toddwrtr 

That's the implicit claim at least - OS11 (some build thereof) will fix the P+ HDR playback issue.

You'll notice that neither Roku nor P+ will explicitly state "RokuOS 11 fixes P+ HDR playback broken in OS10.5" or "OS11 is required for P+ HDR playback".

And that's probably because as per usual, initial release builds (and all really) of RokuOS major versions are in fact RC/Beta quality, and are waiting for sufficient RC/Beta tester (as in us, the users, by default configuration of nearly all Roku devices receiving updates from the beta servers in addition to Roku's very staggered rollout policy) feedback for P+ HDR from those initial builds before declaring anything (or more broadly).

I'm sure we'll know pretty quickly however, since this issue has been longstanding (nearly half a year) and P+ HDR users are well motivated to publicly disclose their P+ HDR findings with OS11 builds.

0 Kudos
blade_005
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Roku will not place in their release notes that a major OS release will 'fix' an issue with one specific app on their platform, whether it is accurate or not. We will likely see an update to OS 11 and soon after that the Paramount+ app will probably 'update' as well. If 4K HDR support is restored, Paramount+ will claim that the Roku OS update 'fixed' the issue. Roku will claim that an 'update' to the Paramount+ app could have addressed the issue that they had to 'fix' with an OS update. At this point I am not sure any Paramount+ subscriber using a Roku device really cares how it was 'fixed'. Smiley Tongue

BenQ HT2060 4LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | FTV4K MAX
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@blade_005  Your right. I love my TCL 4K HDR Roku TV. But is it a deal breaker that I won't be able to watch Halo in 4K? No. Plus it is not like we are paying for 4K content like Netflix. 

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Streamer317 

Actually you are:  4K/HDR/DV  is only available with the Premium Plan

https://help.paramountplus.com/s/article/PD-Which-video-and-audio-streaming-formats-are-supported-fo...

Which video and audio streaming formats are supported for streaming Paramount+?

Paramount+ has content you can stream in both premium video and audio formats, from Dolby Vision to Dolby Atmos! Just make sure you’ve got the Premium plan and you’re on a supported device for these formats, shown below. 

Ready to upgrade to Premium? Get upgrade instruction here.

Which video streaming formats are supported?
If you’re a Premium subscriber, you can watch shows in 4K, Dolby Vision or HDR10 video formats on supported devices below that are connected to a 4K/DV/HDR10 capable TV.

• Select Roku models*
  • Amazon Fire TV (4K Stick, Cube)
  • Android TV
  • Apple TV 4K HDR (5th Gen)

Find supported premium video content fast! Content that is 4K, Dolby Vision and/or HDR10 enabled will be marked with badges on the show page. Note: Some movies will have premium formats, and this information will be included in the description box, so be sure to check it!

* 4K content is not currently available on Roku version 10.5.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@UserOfStreamers  Thank you for the clarification. It does not say on this link that 4K content is only available on the premium plan.

https://help.paramountplus.com/s/article/PD-What-plans-are-available-for-Paramount-and-how-much-do-t...

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Streamer317 

That page doesnt, but the one I initially linked you to does, and repeatedly, with emphasis added for simple clarity.

Granted, P+ doesnt do a good job of advertising all the technical plan differences, but the information is there, as provided by P+ to the public at large (and by me to you in the initial post).

Perhaps you should send P+ some feedback about not enumerating important A/V quality availability differences between their plans? 

Poor documentation/spec declaration is common in the streaming industry:  e.g. Roku doesnt make clear that all their player products are capable of DD+/Atmos passthrough, but only the 4800 (Ultra) is capable of Atmos-level decoding, thus implying/suggesting that only the 4800 supports Atmos.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@UserOfStreamers  @Toddwrtr  @blade_005   I honestly don't care that much about it. 4K content is still limited no matter what streaming service you use. A lot of movies and shows are not offered in 4K. I use YouTube TV as my main source of entertainment. They do offer a 4K add on but it is extremely limited. Most networks still broadcast in 720 or 1080. When YouTube TV users were afraid losing the ability to stream on Roku some jumped shipped. Some bought a Firestick and others went to another live TV streaming service. In the end it was all straightened out. This too will be straightened out. But constantly nagging on here about it won't change a thing. This goes way beyond a few people posting in this community. Heck some people upgrade to 4K and have no idea if they are actually watching 4K. I know cause of the HDR symbol my TV gives me in the upper right corner when I watch in 4K. To sum it up.....................sit back and wait. You can always downgrade to the essential option till it is fixed. 

https://www.nexttv.com/news/charters-spectrum-tv-app-blackout-on-roku-edges-toward-the-two-month-mar...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/12/roku-vs-google-drama-winds-down-as-companies-forge-multi-yea...

0 Kudos
blade_005
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

FYI. The HDR or Dolby Vision popup indicates just that, HDR or DV support, not necessarily 4K resolution. Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek: Picard were initially released in 1080p HDR/DV on Paramount+. Is most content in HDR or DV also in 4K? Yes. But, it is not a requirement.

There is also a fair amount of 4K-only content on Paramount+ in the Smithsonian Channel tab. No HDR or DV, so you won't see a popup indicator even though the resolution is 4K.

BenQ HT2060 4LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | FTV4K MAX
0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

We already know the situation "has been straightened out", at least in the near-future, since Roku/Paramount have made their statements/announcements about OS upgrades/updates related to HDR.

Since this is a support forum, one should expect "constant nagging on here", especially for longstanding problems caused by updates and upgrades - thats the nature of all support forums.

As @blade_005 mentioned, 4K <> HDR10/DV/HDR10+/HLG.

No HDR standard requires 4K (or higher) content, its just more often associated with 4K content, perhaps because some 4K content providers link it to 4K device/streaming quality/subscription levels.

In addition to the P+ content mentioned, NetFlix also has 1080p HDR (HDR10/DV) content available.

Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

... and OS v11 did NOT fix the HDR issue on Paramount+., as expected by nearly every participant in this thread.