Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LambchopKitty
Reel Rookie

Paramount Plus Crashes on Roku Stick 3500x

Jump to solution

Paramount Plus - I select an episode, tried several shows and movies - visual is a still of the show, audio starts on a commercial, then show audio begins for about 15 secs, then app crashes and takes me all the way to the Roku home screen. Restarted, unplugged, updated app and system, checked internet connection, did full factory reset. Read every article. Old device Stick 3500x but P+ says it should run and never had issues before. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Paramount Plus Crashes on Roku Stick 3500x

Jump to solution

I checked the Paramount+ support page, and while they do list the 3500 as a supported player, I noticed they don't support the earlier versions of the Stick. Since the 3500 has the same CPU as the earlier version (there are some other hardware differences) it's possible that OS 11 might simply have raised the bar too high for that old of a player. While Roku still supports the 3500, that support is dwindling. You can no longer buy a replacement remote, and many other channels have dropped support for it as well. 

However, given the support history of Paramount+ (and CBS All Access before it), not only on Roku but other platforms as well, I wouldn't count on CBS getting a quick fix out. They simply don't seem to have any speed other than molasses. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @LambchopKitty

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Does the issue only occur on Paramount Plus or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

If you haven't tried yet, you can remove the affected channel and then re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Brooklynn72180
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@LambchopKitty I have had this same issue since the os 11 update on April 20th.  I have done every single "fix" and nothing has worked.  Over a week ago I sent Roku all my info including the tracker id from recreating the issue and haven't heard a thing back.  It's beyond frustrating. 

0 Kudos
LambchopKitty
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Wow no kidding. I have two more Rokus, newer Express models. If it is a problem on those I guess I have to switch streaming services. Does it happen only for P+ for you too?

0 Kudos
Brooklynn72180
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@LambchopKitty I also have a Roku TV, and it doesn't happen on that, but that is still running Roku is 10.5.  I'm guessing when that upgrades it will happen on there as well.  So far I've only noticed an issue on Paramount.  Everything else seems to be running fine. 

In Roku's defense, I went back to my original post, and my reply with all my info and tracking, etc. never seems to have linked!  My bad for not going back sooner, but I can't imagine where it went!  I'm going to post it again now and should I get a reply I'll let you know! 

Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Brooklynn72180  Paramount+ has been played with issues since it’s release across all platforms. As of right now there is no 4K support for Roku. I use Paramount+ to watch Halo on my TCL Roku TV. Works just great. It’s running Roku OS 10.5. My other TCL Roku TV is running Roku OS 11 and no issues with Paramount+. The best place to start is by reaching out to Paramount Since they are the developers of the channel

0 Kudos
Brooklynn72180
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Ello2022 since it worked on every other device, and worked right up until the minute my Roku upgraded I figured it wasn't a Paramount issue, although I agree the certainly have plenty!

@LambchopKitty I just went to Paramount to get the error tracking, and low and behold it's working! I have done nothing since last night when it didn't work, but I was forced to log in, so something happened.  Either way, randomly try after reinstalling and rebooting and hopefully it will come back.  And with any luck without all the error codes it had before... 

atc98092

Jump to solution

I checked the Paramount+ support page, and while they do list the 3500 as a supported player, I noticed they don't support the earlier versions of the Stick. Since the 3500 has the same CPU as the earlier version (there are some other hardware differences) it's possible that OS 11 might simply have raised the bar too high for that old of a player. While Roku still supports the 3500, that support is dwindling. You can no longer buy a replacement remote, and many other channels have dropped support for it as well. 

However, given the support history of Paramount+ (and CBS All Access before it), not only on Roku but other platforms as well, I wouldn't count on CBS getting a quick fix out. They simply don't seem to have any speed other than molasses. 

Dan

LambchopKitty
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks Dan! That's hugely helpful. I just tested my newer Rokus (Express) and it is loading and playing fine. Amazon Prime no longer runs on that older version so I was planning on replacing that one anyways. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@LambchopKitty wrote:

Thanks Dan! That's hugely helpful. I just tested my newer Rokus (Express) and it is loading and playing fine. Amazon Prime no longer runs on that older version so I was planning on replacing that one anyways. 

While using one of your Roku players, there's a menu that lists My Offers, and they might have something good there for you. I just looked at my offers, and they have a pretty good offer on a new 4K Streaming stick to replace my 3600. They are even offering an Express to replace my ancient Roku 2 XS, but my personal preference would be for a Premiere or higher player. If you want dual band WiFi, You need the latest Stick, the Ultra or the Express 4K. All other Roku players are single band WiFi. 

Dan

0 Kudos