Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve007
Level 7

PCM Audio playback

Looks like with the last update my Roku does not output DD+ any longer and now just outputs PCM Stereo.  Anyone else seeing this and will there be a fix?     Thanks

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
badgerchris
Level 7

Re: PCM Audio playback

This appears to be a bug in Roku OS 9.3.

I have a TCL 55R615 ROKU TV connected via HDMI ARC to a Yamaha RX-V377. On OS 9.2, output to dolby digital worked without issue. Since updating to Roku OS 9.3 (9.3.0 build 9149-30), I get dolby digital output when the TV first starts, then after a while it reverts to PCM stereo output. Going to Settings > Audio > S/PDIF and ARC, then changing from dolby digital, to PCM-Stereo, then back to dolby digital fixes the problem temporarily. Going into power settings and forcing a TV restart also restores dolby digital temporarily.

I haven't seen any resolutions reported for this bug.

This same issue was also discussed in the Roku reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/gb28h6/roku_ultra_audio_consistently_reverts_to_pcm/

0 Kudos
Steuen
Level 9

Re: PCM Audio playback

I got this to work on my system - Roku stick on a Vizio TV (no external speakers or soundbar).

On the Roku stick menu, go to Settings -> Audio -> HDMI -> and set to PCM - Stereo. It appears that the auto detect routine has a defect in it where it fails to switch over after one of the states was selected. The Audio Mode setting did not make a difference. This means no Dolby output, but at least I have sound.

Hope it works for you while Roku find the bug and squashes it.

0 Kudos