Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bdpopeye
Level 8

Original Roku 3 interfering with computer screen

I have an orginal Roku 3. Recently I purchased another streaming stick and moved the Roku 3 to the computer room. My computer and my Roku 3 are connected by HDMI cables to a 32" 1080p VIZIO TV. After I use my Roku 3 and then switch to my computer this is what I see;



I have to then turn the computer off and on or sometimes unplug it to clear this up. Any idea's for a more permanent fix? Thanks for any response.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
fluke
Level 10

Re: Original Roku 3 interfering with computer screen

Shooting from the hip, I think I have an idea what might be going on.  I want to blame HDCP because it is developed by the Intel and I mostly enjoy blaming them.

However, you are light on details and it would be nice to better understand the configuration before attempting to troubleshoot.

What model of Vizio TV?

What manufacturer and model of video card on the computer?  Is it plugged into a HDMI or DVI port on the video card?

Is the Roku and computer both connected to different HDMI ports on the Vizio or do they share the same HDMI port through a HDMI switch?

If you can provide the answer to each of those questions, it will be easier to explain what rabbit hole to go down for the next step.  If you need help in where to find the answers then let me know and I can try explaining where to look.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
bdpopeye
Level 8

Re: Original Roku 3 interfering with computer screen

"fluke" wrote:
What model of Vizio TV?

What manufacturer and model of video card on the computer?  Is it plugged into a HDMI or DVI port on the video card?

Is the Roku and computer both connected to different HDMI ports on the Vizio or do they share the same HDMI port through a HDMI switch?

If you can provide the answer to each of those questions, it will be easier to explain what rabbit hole to go down for the next step.  If you need help in where to find the answers then let me know and I can try explaining where to look.

VIZIO model #...D32hn-D0
I've no idea what video card is in my computer. My computer is a HP Pavilion p7-1030 pc. My computer is running Windows 10.
The Roku and computer are plugged into seperate HDMI ports.
Thanks for any assistance.
0 Kudos
fluke
Level 10

Re: Original Roku 3 interfering with computer screen

Ok, If it is plugged into different HDMI ports then not HDCP.

The Pavilion P7-1030 should be using the video graphic integrated into the Intel processor.  You may want to try using Intel's own driver update tool at:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... stant.html

If the TV and computer are both functioning correctly, adding a Roku shouldn't be able to generate this type of issue.
0 Kudos
bdpopeye
Level 8

Re: Original Roku 3 interfering with computer screen

Thanks fluke.. I'll give it a try later. we gotta go to the farm..
0 Kudos
bdpopeye
Level 8

Re: Original Roku 3 interfering with computer screen

Thanks fluke for the link. Well I tried it and all I get is an error message..several times..thusly;

"Ops, something went wrong while trying to scan. Please try again,Or see our FAQ for help."

Thanks for the help. The problem persist.
0 Kudos
bdpopeye
Level 8

Re: Original Roku 3 interfering with computer screen

I've found a solution. I hope.  :roll: I've discovered there is some sort of wi-fi interference called  Interference Mitigation associated with the roku 3 & roku stick. Possibly it is  So I've ordered a IR remote and will use the ethernet cable. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

Honestly we don't have any other issues with the three rokus we have. Just this orginal Roku 3.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Original Roku 3 interfering with computer screen

"bdpopeye" wrote:
I've found a solution. I hope.  :roll: I've discovered there is some sort of wi-fi interference called  Interference Mitigation associated with the roku 3 & roku stick. Possibly it is  So I've ordered a IR remote and will use the ethernet cable. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

Honestly we don't have any other issues with the three rokus we have. Just this orginal Roku 3.

I don’t think it’s possible to turn off the WiFi being broadcast by a Roku device. It’ll still transmit so it can pair with a WiFi remote. The Roku 2 (4210) — which is identical to the Roku 3 4200 — did the same thing, and it came with an IR remote in the box.

Not saying don’t get one, just to temper your expectations.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
bdpopeye
Level 8

Re: Original Roku 3 interfering with computer screen

"DBDukes" wrote:
"bdpopeye" wrote:
I've found a solution. I hope.  :roll: I've discovered there is some sort of wi-fi interference called  Interference Mitigation associated with the roku 3 & roku stick. Possibly it is  So I've ordered a IR remote and will use the ethernet cable. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

Honestly we don't have any other issues with the three rokus we have. Just this orginal Roku 3.

I don’t think it’s possible to turn off the WiFi being broadcast by a Roku device. It’ll still transmit so it can pair with a WiFi remote. The Roku 2 (4210) — which is identical to the Romu 3 4200 — did the same thing, and it came with an IR remote in the box.

Not saying don’t get one, just to temper your expectations.

Thanks ..I understand. I found this page that describes to stop the interference mitigation. 
http://www.netconsonance.com/2016/06/ho ... king-5ghz/
This did not work at all. a big fat ZERO! I think this may only work on a roku stick.
0 Kudos
bdpopeye
Level 8

Re: Original Roku 3 interfering with computer screen

I received my new IR remote today. I switched the Roku 3 to ethernet. And the issue of the fuzzy screen is solved! 
0 Kudos