Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kudertv
Level 7

Optical audio stopped working

I've been successfully routing audio from a brand-new TCL Roku TV via optical output to my Yamaha AVR. Today audio stopped working, with no changes to any settings on my part. I've confirmed that the optical input to the AVR works by using another source input to that connection. I've also confirmed that the optical cable isn't the issue by swapping between two cables. I've also confirmed that audio is being received on the TV by turning on the TV speaker output. Any suggestions? Has the optical output circuit failed?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Optical audio stopped working

Take a look at the end of the optical cable that is connected to the TV. If you don't see a red glow at the end of the cable, then the optical emitter might have failed. If it is lit, that would indicate that it is at least emitting.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
kudertv
Level 7

Thanks Dan. The emitter is working - glowing red using two different optical cables.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Sounds like an issue with the TV then. You've tried every test I can think of. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
kudertv
Level 7

Thanks again Dan. I've contacted TCL Support.
0 Kudos
Joelack99
Level 7

Did you ever get this resolved? I have exactly this problem, all of a sudden.
Thanks,
J
0 Kudos
Joelack99
Level 7

Ha! I fixed it. There happened to be a new firmware update. It made no sense that this Would repair a sudden audio problem, but I figured, what the heck. When I downloaded and installed it, the sound bar worked on TV’s reboot. Unless the firmware had somehow become corrupted, the fix, I suspect, was in the hard reboot.
0 Kudos