Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ChuckW
Level 7

Only PCM From Roku Streaming Stick +

I have my stick attached to an HDMI port on my Samsung TV which is connected to a new Onkyo receiver via HDMI ARC and I’m only getting PCM from any content through the Roku.   I can steam Amazon Prime directly from my TV and it’s in Dolby Digital yet when I view the same content on Prime going through the Roku it’s in PCM.

Roku audio settings;  Dolby digital + selected for audio mode and Dolby Digial + for HDMI ( I also tried auto)  Sound leveling is off.     Any ideas ? 

Thanks 

[Topic relocated to appropriate location]

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Only PCM From Roku Streaming Stick +

Many TVs will not pass multi-channel audio from an externally connected device back out via optical or ARC. And I can practically guarantee that DD+ will not pass back.

In this case I suggest plugging the Stick directly into an HDMI port on your Onkyo. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ChuckW
Level 7

I wasn't aware of this and will try connecting the Roku to the receiver.   I went with the option of connecting it to the TV as my receiver is out of sight so I’ll have to get an IR extender to control the Roku or use their mobile app

Thanks

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

@ChuckW wrote:

I wasn't aware of this and will try connecting the Roku to the receiver.   I went with the option of connecting it to the TV as my receiver is out of sight so I’ll have to get an IR extender to control the Roku or use their mobile app

Thanks

The Roku Sticks all use WiFi Direct for their remote, and don't even support IR. They do not have to be line of sight at all, so don't worry about that. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos