Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gofer
Level 7

Old and brand new ROKU boxes overheating

Ok... our "old" ROKU box is 4 months old. Suddenly started getting the message "your device is overheating". So, unplug, wait till it cools. Over heats just shortly after starting TV again. SO... went out and bought brand new ROKU. Plugged it in. Started watching TV and within fifteen minutes, got the same message on the brand new unit!! And the box is definitely very warm! Of course, I never ever checked the first one, just to see what "normal" warmth is, so... no idea.

Anybody else having this issue? Maybe a bad run of units? Tech support is about as useful as  a square basketball. I do have the extended warranty, for all the good that's going to do, when I want to watch TV NOW.

So... suggestions? What do I do. Keep taking it back to Wally World and exchanging for units until  I get one that lasts another four months? At the cost of the dang things, I may as well go back to cable TV and pay their outrageous fees. Wife and I are TRYing to live on our social security and it's tough enough as it is, without having to play ROKU games.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
meshmaster
Level 7

Re: Old and brand new ROKU boxes overheating

they do get hot as **bleep**... What I did to mine was cut up an old ice cream bucket and put it on top so that it has some air around it to help cool it a bit... Used to use a cooling mat from an old laptop but don't use it for the roku any more since it's now on another device.

0 Kudos
Gofer
Level 7

Where it's sitting, on the TV stand, there's really no additional warmth coming from the TV or from beneath, but I put it up on a couple dowels to give air space below it. It worked fine for a while last night and for quite a while this evening. Then out of the blue... back to the overheating garbage again. So... you say a computer cooling pad seemed to do the trick? I guess I could try the ice cream container thing and sit it higher and see if that does anything. 

I've a feeling that the $110 for the new unit was a waste of money. The old one worked fine, with no channel issues. Just the sudden overheating. ( insert heavy sigh here ) Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

@Gofer  Thanks for the note here. A few more questions to help better understand what you are seeing: 

- What streaming channel(s) are you watching when this issue occurs? 

- How are you powering your devices? We always recommend using the included wall power adapter with a standard wall power outlet. 

- Are your devices near any heat source, such as other electronics or heating vents, etc.? If so, we'd recommend moving them to a different location with better air flow. 

With more information, we'll see how else we can assist from there.

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
KennyJoe
Level 7

As of this morning (4/13) I'm experiencing the same **bleep** problem. I'm using the same plug-in adapter & cord the unit came with. I unplug it, let alone for maybe half hour. Plug back in. 20 minutes later...red light...then overheating OIC on the screen. All day long I've been dealing with this issue. I ordered it brand new through Amazon back in October and has worked beautifully until this morning. Oh by the way...it's a ROKU Premiere box.
    I'm thinking maybe there are an over abundance of people streaming now due to this virus situation with the 'Shelter at Home' **bleep** going on? **bleep** I don't know. But I don't think these little boxes are made to be that expendable. I know we live in a disposable society...but 6 months is a little too soon.

0 Kudos
Gofer
Level 7

Well, after complaining to ROKU Support, following all their suggestions, etc., they decided to send me a NEW ROKU box. Just got it hooked up and running. So, we'll see if we still get the overheating message. Will be mailing the old ROKU back, as per their instructions, tomorrow morning first thing. And, we'll see if this one gives us the same "overheating" message right away, like the last new one did. 

0 Kudos
Gofer
Level 7

KENNY.... my first ROKU lasted 4 months before getting the message. Here's something you might try, in the mean time. But definitely let ROKU support know what's happening and maybe they'll send you a new box, like they did for me.

What I did, that seemed to help some... I placed the ROKU box on a couple dowels and hung it at an angle over the side of where it sits. I think the angle helps the airflow underneath the box and helps keep it cooler. Give that a try to see if it helps. I also have the 4 month old one on hand, just as a spare. If I NEED to use it, I'll have it. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Sherrena1981
Level 7

I was watching a movie and my Roku box just cut off and it is asking for a code 

0 Kudos