Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
N2Masters
Level 7

Re: Occasional flashes to black with Dolby Vision after update to 10.0.0 software

same problem for me.  tried locking in hdmi settings via secret menu, new cables, ports, etc. no luck, thus far. seems like the update has a bug to be fixed. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Occasional flashes to black with Dolby Vision after update to 10.0.0 software

I watched a Dolby Vision title on Disney+ for over an hour yesterday and never saw a flash. This really sounds like it's specific to a particular model of LG TV. As I said, my Ultra 4800 connected to a LG Nano85 does not have any issue with this. This info might assist the programmers in where they should look and what they need to test on.

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
N2Masters
Level 7

my experience seems to be limited to YouTube TV. Disney, Netlfix, and HBO max are working fine on my LG CX10. 

0 Kudos
DomesticWander
Level 7

I have tried to set my Roku to 4K only and yet when I turn it back on it keeps reverting back to Auto Detect which sucks because when I was able to set it differently it seemed to solve the issue. Although I prefer Roku to fix this problem in the update. I tried different ports on my Denon receiver with no luck.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

@DomesticWander wrote:

I have tried to set my Roku to 4K only and yet when I turn it back on it keeps reverting back to Auto Detect which sucks because when I was able to set it differently it seemed to solve the issue. Although I prefer Roku to fix this problem in the update. I tried different ports on my Denon receiver with no luck.

Try disabling Automatic Recovery:  Home 5x, Down, Left, Up 3x

0 Kudos
DomesticWander
Level 7

Thank you for that as I didn't know it was possible.

0 Kudos
N2Masters
Level 7

tried that. still happens with YouTube tv. about to turn off hdr always on and see it the works. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

I just tested a episode on Netflix, and still no flashes. It really seems to be related to the OLED TVs. Why? I have no idea. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
P-Rock
Level 7

Would setting the Roku to "4K Only" reduce the image quality? I had assumed that setting it to anything less than "4K Dolby Vision" would reduce image quality on certain sources. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@P-Rock wrote:

Would setting the Roku to "4K Only" reduce the image quality? 

That would disable DV. I can't say if it would also disable HDR. Yes, it could impact the image, assuming you're watching something encoded with DV/HDR. Most online sources would recognize you aren't set for it, and that might force a 1080 stream instead of 2160. Depending on your screen size/quality, the difference between 1080 and 2160 might or might not be noticeable. But if they send an HDR/DV stream and you're not configured to display it, then it absolutely will look "off". I know when I streamed some of my 4K/HDR movies to my 1080 plasma, they really didn't look good. Mainly dark and dull. 

Dan
0 Kudos