Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkinsey
Reel Rookie

Re: [OS 10.5] Screen frozen on "Introducing Roku OS 10.5" and remote not working

Jump to solution

How can one get to "settings" if the remote won't move?  

0 Kudos
Larly

Re: [OS 10.5] Screen frozen on "Introducing Roku OS 10.5" and remote not working

Jump to solution

I have a ROKU 4230x

I switched it on tonight and screen frozen. Have tried unplugging for several minutes a few times but that hasn’t helped.

Please advise as I cannot contact a ROKU support person via email as doesn’t exist

cybrarian1981
Reel Rookie

Re: introducing Roku OS 10.5 screen frozen and won't respond to remote control

Jump to solution

I have two Roku Ultras, one running 10.5 the other still running 10.0 (did not update). The device running 10.0 works fine, responds appropriately to remote commands. The newer Ultra, with 10.5 update, has lost the ability to stay connected to a remote, either the actual remote or the remote app. I have tested both repeatedly. The only solution, is to unplug the Ultra from power, take the batteries out of the remote, wait 10+ seconds, plug power back in and reinsert batteries. This works until you disconnect from the Ultra (device). I have a sometimes workaround, use your television remote to change sources, turn on the Roku (the remote does this much) choose the HDMI connected to your Roku using your TV remote, and then the Roku remote seems to work for that session. However, one caveat, sometimes the screen is not correct, we only get a small picture up in the left hand corner, have to start process all over. Is this really the operating conditions that Roku thinks are acceptable? Disappointing. I changed from a Amazon Fire because of operating issues...maybe we need to rethink other options?

0 Kudos
dbergsr
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

When is the streaming issue your support page identifies going to be fixed?  Don't ask me to do an update or check my internet connection.  The problem started after update 10.5.0 and has not been fixed.  ROKU did something and needs to fix it.  We are tired of watching shows that keep reloading and backing up.  It probably has something to do with taking on more customers than you can support, then our service suffers.

0 Kudos
bobbhei
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Have tried everything you suggested multiple times.  Nothing works.  Screen frozen, unit only responds with a ping sound, buttons do not work.  Are you serious about fixing or should I just buy a different system???  Please respond.

0 Kudos
dbergsr
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

No they aren't serious about fixing it.  They just keep ignoring us as long as we keep the money coming.  I had the same issue with the Amazon Firestick after having their service for over a year.  It went on for months and they never fixed it.  They were telling us the same thing.  Check your internet connection and reset devices.  Same BS with no cure.  Problem is, I am running out of options.  I do not want to go back to cable, but may have to.  Tired of these companies screwing us.

0 Kudos
Khawkins
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This does nothing work.  My tv was working fine until software update.  I have been patiently waiting for a REAL RESPONSE and doing what you advised every day since then!  I have a Hisense/Roku tv.  So the entire unit is possibly trash now.

I sent support all the requested into.  
Model, serial # and a video do what tv is doing. 

My tv is not old!  This should not happen. 

0 Kudos
Scott17

Jump to solution

I can’t even get to the settings section. My screen is stuck on the 10.5 see what’s new page and won’t go anywhere else. I tried the app on my phone and it still won’t work! I unplugged the device from the tv and still stuck on that stupid screen that says what a great update this is. It won’t go away and won’t let anything else stream.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Scott17, you say you unplugged the device from the TV, but did you unplug the power from the device? Try disconnecting all the cables for a few minutes and reconnecting them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Bisquick
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My Roku Model 4210X-2 box is now working - I dunno why.  I can't see that any update has been made - it's still Software 10.5.0 - build 4201-04.  I did change the screensaver to the aquarium and the home screen to the squid - not that any of that should matter.  But it no longer hangs and no longer requires a reboot after sitting for a day.  The remote works fine.

0 Kudos