Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kjoelmer15
Reel Rookie

Re: introducing Roku OS 10.5 screen frozen and won't respond to remote control

Jump to solution

tried your suggestion-unplugging and re-plugging in-no change. The Intro to 10.5 screen is frozen-remote does nothing

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience regarding the screen freezing issue you are experiencing.

Please be aware that we have currently disabled this pop up on screen. We would recommend you to now unplug the power of your Roku device for a couple of minutes (regardless if you have already done this before) and then plug it back in again to see if you are still experiencing the issue.

Keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
tomstoffel
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

You haven't disabled the pop up it is all I have on the screen.  I did all the reboots and my phone shows that I am connected to the stick but it does nothing but gives me the stupid we are not responding tone

tomstoffel
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It didn't work.  The pop up screen is not disabled and now I can't reboot my remote.  My phone is linked but does nothing.   If you screwed up the system to get me to buy a new one at least say that so I can quit wasting my time.  I have plugged and unplugged 4 times.  This **bleep** simply doesn't work.  

Pam44

Re: Roku frozen after newest software update

Jump to solution

I, too , am frozen after recent update.  I can’t access the channels I pay for….including Roku!  Please direct me to a real live person to help.  I’ve done all the suggested restart stuff.  I’m soooo frustrated.  PLEASE 

TheMaurice
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Not working.  I have two Roku 2's and a newer Insignia 22" Roku TV.  All are stuck.

First boot post update, the "What's new" appears.  A power pull gets rid of that screen.

Now, whenever they are allowed to sleep with the TV (HDMI, no CEC) on or off, they "hang" on the main screen.  IR remote, and Official Roku Android app do not work, and all you hear is the "ping" every time a key is pressed on either.  I have disabled auto-detect and manually set 1080P on one and 720P on the other, still they hang. 

Edit: I have disabled the screen saver and disabled the Network Data Saver.  I tested this again today leaving the one Roku and TV fully powered on for 4.5 hours, and the other Roku on but TV off.  This seems to have stopped the "hang".  The Insignia Roku TV is basically a brick.

The only cure is to reboot.

If this isn't fixed, I will be moving to Android devices within 24 hours.  Too many shenanigans (blocking dev mode when sideloading, google fights, broken firmware on seemingly every major release since 2013, but this one takes the cake).

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@tomstoffel @TheMaurice 

Thanks for the posts.

For clarification, please confirm that since my last post, you have unplugged the power on your Roku device for 5 minutes, plugged the device back in and rebooted the device to see if you are still experiencing the issue.

If you are still seeing the frozen screen issue appear, please provide the information:
-date and time when did you unplugged the device
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-specific steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
TheMaurice
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

>>>  unplugged the power on your Roku device for 5 minutes,
Ten minutes each device, no change.

>>> date and time when did you unplugged the device
Yesterday twice, November 19th.  8PM(ish) EST.  And again around midnight(ish) then this morning as well around 6AM(ish) on the one Roku 2.  The other Roku 2 was last night around midnight(ish).  The Insignia TV was last night around 8PM(ish) only.

>>> -Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
Will not post serial numbers (although you can see them linked in my account if you need to and the email address is linked to this account).  Software on the two Roku 2's is 10.5 and I believe it is 4200 or 4201 (I am not near them so I cannot confirm currently).

>>> -specific steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
Have already posted troubleshooting done which well exceeds anything on this thread.  

Edited Post Above: I have disabled the screen saver and disabled the Network Data Saver.  I tested this again today leaving the one Roku and TV fully powered on for 4.5 hours, and the other Roku on but TV off.  This seems to have stopped the "hang" on both powered on and powered off TVs.  The issue does not seem to be the "What's new" screen at least not entirely, the issue seems to be allowing the devices to sleep.  When woken up from sleep, they require a hard reset.

Even though I seem to have fixed it by disabling power savings, I have ordered Android boxes to replace all these.  I'm done with troubleshooting every time there is an update.

kjoelmer15
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for saving me...your unplugging suggestion worked-I can smile again lol

tomstoffel
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

You are wasting more of my time.  On Tuesday, everything worked fine.  On Friday, it doesn't work at all.  The only thing that changed is the OS.  I have tried rebooting by unplugging for more than 5 minutes three times and have tried resetting the remote but now the green light just blinks on the remote and it won't even link back up.  My phone is linked but it won't do anything.  I see A LOT of other people are having the same problem.  When will you get it through your head that your new OS is junk.