Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kami6
Reel Rookie

Re: introducing Roku OS 10.5 screen frozen and won't respond to remote control

Jump to solution

To Roku Tech - below is a photo of the frozen screen.  Have tried the disconnect from power, battery removal. it is still frozen.

image.jpg

kami6
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Dear Mary,

“settings” etc are not available due to the frozen screen with the joyous message about the 10.5 update….  The remote will no longer work.  I tried unplugging and other suggestions.  Nothing is working.  Roku was working perfectly before the update.

Hope this can soon be fixed.

image.jpg

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@charlesadamek, if there's no pairing button then it is a simple remote.  I didn't think any of them had controls for power/volume (except for RokuTVs).  You have to have a clear line of sight to the front of the Roku.  It's hard to believe that a software update could cause a simple remote to stop working, but nothing's out of the question when it comes to Roku updates.  You can verify whether the remote is doing anything by pointing it at a digital camera like the one in your phone and pressing a button on the remote.  You should see a flash of light on the camera's screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: OS 10.5 Update stuck on screen announcing OS 10.5

Jump to solution

My Roku 3810 received the update to 10.5 on November 11.  A full week later, this "New features" screen arrived.  At least for me, the screen stayed responsive and I could move down to the "No thanks" button and click it.  Maybe the week delay had something to do with it, who knows?

At any rate, some people running into this frozen New Features screen report that unplugging both tv and Roku for 30 seconds allowed the system to reboot up to the normal responsive Roku home page.  I don't know if you really need to pull the plug on the tv, or if you really need to wait 30 seconds, but that's what has been reported.

Edit: Sorry, the reports I had seen said to disconnect power to the Roku and TV for 30 MINUTES.  That seems excessive to me and expect a much shorter time would suffice.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
happydonne

Re: OS 10.5 Update stuck on screen announcing OS 10.5

Jump to solution

Same thing happened to me.  Has anyone received any info from Roku.  Right now my tv set is dead.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Please be aware that we are currently investigating this issue that is being reported. Your patience is much appreciated while we look further into this.

In the meantime, we would recommend unplugging your Roku device from the power source for a couple of minutes, then plugging it back in and seeing if your device is still experiencing the issue.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
mmcc1

Jump to solution

I have tried all of the unplugging and battery changing suggestions. It is now stuck on a screen that displays Netflix previews. Not an actual link to Netflix, just scrolling pictures of Netflix content.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Cagr78 @divapath 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide clarification when you state that the cycle repeats? Are you seeing the "Introduction to 10.5" again and your screen freezing even after you disconnected the power from your Roku device?

With more specification, we will be able to look further into the issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Al131
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My Roku3 is frozen since it downloaded version 10.5.  HELP!!!!!

Kjjay

Re: [OS 10.5] Screen frozen on "Introducing Roku OS 10.5" and remote not working

Jump to solution

I fixed my Roku since it was frozen on that ironic screen. The exact steps as follows. 

Kept it unplugged it all day

Plug in and watch the boot sequence (be patient)

As soon as it got to the home screen the OS update message came up I and I was able to select the option Not Now and was able to view channels. I believe the key was to not let it sit. 

My Roku model 4230X-Roku 3 / OS ver 10.5.0 rev 4201-04