Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sigmunds
Binge Watcher

Re: Build 4198 and HDCP errors

I just bought a Roku Ultra LT for $30.00 on Walmart Black Friday sale.  I replaced my $99 Ultra with the the LT and the LT has no errors.

Skeptical_Lad
Binge Watcher

What is the software build on the new Roku Ultra LT ??

sigmunds
Binge Watcher

Software version 10.5.0. Build 4201.
Reddington
Channel Surfer

Re: [OS 10.5] HDCP error on Roku Ultra 4800RW

I also experience these HDCP errors sporadically with software version 10.5, which NEVER happened on Roku Ultra under software version 10.0.0

My signal goes thru an HDMI switch box which only extracts the digital audio. This is HDCP version 1.4 with my old Sony TV KDL-46W3000.

Good tip with the home button for a detailed support request.

The only workaround that fixes the issue for me is to restart the Roku Ultra. Clearly a software issue, not a cabling issue.

briandoc
Reel Rookie

My 4800X just got took the 4201 update and immediately started the HDCP errors where previously I had never seen an error. 

I followed an older thread which led me to Settings > Display settings. My resolution was set to auto detect and was now coming up as 720p HDCP 1.4 while it is a 1080p TV. I turned off auto and manually set it to 1080p which it told me wasn’t supported (but it is) and I forced it to try it and of course it worked fine. Tried Netflix, same error. I powered off TV and Roku and remove HDMI cable from both (again for the millionth time), HOWEVER, this time it worked. No more HDCP error in any app. YMMV

Tags (1)
BL3

Screen flickering since update 10.5

Updated to 10.5 and now flickering green screen several times after boot screen. Then I try to play any app and get HDCP error detected screen. I have tried several HDMI wires and factory reset multiple times but still have the issue 

Roku Express (3930, 3931 series)

Reddington
Channel Surfer

After fiddling with the settings, I'd like to report back with my workarounds; maybe this is helpful for some of you.

I get the impression that at least the issue with the failing screensavers is the new Power settings that have a low-power mode come on after 20 minutes. It seems that under RokuOs 10.5 this setting is now on by default. When waking up the Roku, it seems there might be some conflict with the screensaver not being shutdown or woken properly.

I have a stable Roku Ultra 4800X box now after making the following changes: For display type, switched off auto-detect and manually (force-)set to 1080p. Switched off the screensaver under "Theme". Left the 20min auto-power-off setting on under "Power". So far, no more HDCP errors. (But I am on an older TV with HDCP 1.4 only. This is 10.5.0 build 4201-C2).

It also seems that restarting the Roku fixes some things, and without any new software updates, stability got better. So maybe the software "learns" somehow, or maybe the streaming services changed something on their end as a workaround.

In any case, just wanted to post this to give y'all some hope 🙂

dougster32
Reel Rookie

I can verify that since applying @Reddington's fix, I haven't had an HDCP issue with my Roku.  Thanks @Reddington !

evenron
Reel Rookie

I have found another fix for the Roku Ultra 4800RW playback problem.  The problem started after the 11/13/21 update which turned off the Roku unit when not being used. 

solution is to turn off the auto shut down when inactive for X amount of Time: here is how

Settings>System>Power>Auto power savings (uncheck the time setting for no interaction)

Hopefully Roku will find a way to put Roku into standby mode rather than powering it totally off.  The Roku I first noticed the issue is working, the new replacement Roku I purchased is working. 

nopethanks
Reel Rookie

Exact same issue here. OS 10.5 on Roku model 4800X. After some time (maybe 12 hours?), the resolution resets to 720p and can’t play videos due to HDCP error. It says my 4K HDR tv can’t support anything but the 720p. Used to be just fine at 4K HDR. Restarting Roku makes it work for a bit. Maybe a problem with sleep or waking from sleep?