Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bogey62
Binge Watcher

Re: [OS 10.5] HDCP error on Roku Ultra 4800RW

@ÓliGneisti wrote:

The point of using something like a Roku is so you can update an external device rather than the whole TV. TVs should be dumb with lots of ports. Devices that can't talk to TVs are worthless.

I don't disagree with you, but replacing our 10 year old tv solved Roku's issue.

sigmunds
Binge Watcher

I gave up and did the factory reset.  I  still get the same error on all channels.  Please help me!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Vizio 2019 P-Series Quantum P759-G1 TV which I bought last December 2019 which is suffering the same HDCP 2.2 issues since the software Build 4198-C2 was installed on my Roku Ultra last November 4. My Vizio TV and Yamaha A/V are just about 2-year old models and the Roku Ultra was also a 2019 model bought December 2020. I did all the HDMI connection changes to my TV, A/V and Roku and even bought new HDMI-2 cables. No success.

I finally received an email from the Roku tech support and it detailed advice which was a repeat from the fix that was given on the HDCP 2.2 error screen. No good help there. One advice was to lower the Roku display setting which I find absurd because it goes against the reason why I bought the higher-end Roku Ultra to replace my old Roku Stick. I really want to enjoy watching full 4K UHD with Dolby. What Roku Tech Support is suggesting is that I dumb down what the Roku Ultra is capable of doing.

I don't think a fix is available anytime soon. I already wasted so much time and effort trying to find a fix to this problem because of Roku's inability to appropriately find a solution to the Build 4198-C2 issue. I find it not financially viable to buy another TV just to work around this problem that the Roku software created. I'll just have replace the Roku Ultra with another streaming device not labelled with the "Roku" name.

I strongly suggest that Roku should have better Beta testing protocols of their software upgrades before releasing it to the consumers. Roku should remind themselves that a lot of their end-users are not tech-oriented and this creates a lot of frustration if the product that the end-users are using cannot "plug-and-play" smoothly. They may just decide to migrate to a more reliable hardware and avoid buying any product carrying the "Roku" label in the future.

ieus53
Reel Rookie

The units will even visit the screensaver for some time, however after a sure amount of time they absolutely shut off. Also, after I first turn the TV on, the Roku might already be on, but now they are powered off and the TV has no signal till the Roku page powers up. This by no means came about till recently. The identical time as the 020 errors is while the electricity down problems started too.

sigmunds
Binge Watcher

Re: Build 4198 and HDCP errors

How about Roku replacing free of charge the Roku Ultras the 11/4 update ruined?

Skeptical_Lad
Binge Watcher

We have three Roku boxes:

Roku Ultra, Model 4800X, Software version: 10.5.0 - Build 4198-C2
Roku Express, Model: 3930X, Software version: 10.0.0 - Build 4209-AE
Roku 2, Model: 4201X, Software version: 10.0.0 - Build 4209-04

Both the Roku 2 and the Roku Express continue to show the sleep screen when you navigate to the HDMI port to which they are attached (this is after they have been powered down for hours).

The Roku Ultra no longer does that.  This appeared for us at the same time that the “HDCP Error Detected” message began appearing (after the software version: 10.5.0 - Build 4198-C2 was applied).

I believe these issues are related.

Skeptical_Lad
Binge Watcher

Not a bad idea but the “HDCP Error Detected” message began appearing after the software version: 10.5.0 - Build 4198-C2 was applied to the The Roku Ultra.  I believe that a new Roku Ultra would do the same thing as soon as the same broken software patch was applied.  I believe it is a software problem and not a hardware problem.  I also believe that here is something in the software patch that isn't playing well with the Sony Vizio TV.  Look at how many Sony Vizios are involved in the error reporting in this (and other) threads !!

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi everyone,

We're aware of the issue and it's currently under investigation. Once they provide me with an update I'll be sure to let the Community know.

Sincerely,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
sigmunds
Binge Watcher

Thank you for your response.   However the issue has been active for at least 11 days now, longer for some.  Is it reasonable to have such a delay in resolution for this problem?  People cannot get  any video on their devices in the meantime.  Please provide a realistic time frame to provide a resolution  Thanks

Uribees

I've had this issue with with my Ultra ever since I bought it. I even exchanged it for another Ultra and still had the same issue.