Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iFrog
Roku Guru

Re: [OS 10.5] HDCP error on Roku Ultra 4800RW

Add me to the list of those experiencing this issue as well.

I have a Roku Ultra 4800 that I also bought close to the beginning of the year.  It's always been a bit quirky compared to my 4660W unit however, as many others on 10.5.0 build 4201. I've noticed a lot of random HDCP issues.  Also, on my 4K Sony TV model XBR-43800D, it will also randomly go to a snowy screen and back.  It's done that on the Home Screen as well as watching content.  It's also given similar strange behavior on a non smart LG 1080p TV.  I doubt it's the TV(s) or other parts of the setup as everything else works fine.  To confirm and isolate this issue to the 4800 model, I put my 4660 back into that setup and those problems are gone.

I did try one of the suggestions above about disabling power saving, and I restarted, and that's when the Roku went Snowy, and back to the Home Screen, just sitting idle after the reboot.

To be fair though, with what I watch, the 4800 really doesn't have an advantage to me over the 4660.  It was just nice to be able to try the latest generation, after a couple cycles.  The other thing I've recently noticed this afternoon is, after swapping the Roku(s) the new Vizio sound bar I've put into the mix now goes into mute mode, instead of off when turning the TV off with the Roku remote.  I should also mention that, last night the 4660 reverted to 10.0.0 build 4209 from 10.5.0 build 4201 in checking for updates.

Everything seems OK now, other than these little glitches.

Skeptical_Lad
Binge Watcher

We have a Roku Ultra, Model 4800X, Software version: 10.5.0 - Build 4198-C2.
I tried both @briandoc and @Reddington's fixes - didn't work.
I did @evenron's fix:
>>
the solution is to turn off the auto shut down when inactive for X amount of Time: here is how
Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings (uncheck the time setting for no interaction)
>>
You get a popup warning from the Roku saying that this will consume more power. I went ahead and did it anyway.
This worked !!
We now have the screensaver diplayed when we turn on the TV and navigate to the HDMI port to which the Roku is attached. We were able to successfully stream programing without the HDCP error and without powering down, unplugging and replugging HDMI cables, etc.

A big "Thank You !!" to @evenron !!!

GCS
Channel Surfer

Don't know if this could fix your specific HDCP problems, but this is what I did and it fixed my issues :

After the update, I had errors on two units, on different TVs. I bought a Zeskit 8k HDMI cable for only one of the TVs, but the problem persisted, though not as often. 

I found a website (below). I had to disable the device refresh rate and reboot, reset the display type to read my TV and not auto detect, and disconnect all cables from all devices, and reboot (specific instructions at the website). 

Stopped all the errors.

https://appuals.com/rocku-hdcp-020/

iFrog
Roku Guru

@GCS wrote:

Don't know if this could fix your specific HDCP problems, but this is what I did and it fixed my issues :

After the update, I had errors on two units, on different TVs. I bought a Zeskit 8k HDMI cable for only one of the TVs, but the problem persisted, though not as often. 

I found a website (below). I had to disable the device refresh rate and reboot, reset the display type to read my TV and not auto detect, and disconnect all cables from all devices, and reboot (specific instructions at the website). 

Stopped all the errors.

https://appuals.com/rocku-hdcp-020/

Thanks for the suggestions, will  keep the website handy.  It seems like I've solved the issues here in a different way.  Partly some of the steps mentioned here such as keeping refresh rate adjust off, redoing cabling, etc.  What I did different which I also found mention of on this forum, is to change subsampling to 4:2:2.  It was set to 4:2:0.  So far, I've been using the Roku 4800 two days now in the 4K setup with different types of content, various resolutions without issues.  This seems to be a setting that is dependent on the specific setup because it helps others while hurting others, and it seems like toggling the setting both ways also affects different people in different ways as well.

sbctechguy

[OS 10.5] Ultra 4800 HDCP errors

Sorry, i would direct message but I don't have the envelope icon by my avatar per your instructions.

Serial X01000EPL8H8
Model 4800X
Device S02A211PL8H8
Version 10.5.0.4201

Getting the HDCP error on every app.  Have tried multiple cables.    Everything was working fine up until a couple weeks ago.

0 Kudos
Ksw12359

Re: “HDCP Error Detected” message after software update - changing display auto select function to 7

I have the fix, I’m going to buy the Firestick and quit using the Roku. 

PrimeThisJeffy
Binge Watcher

Re: “HDCP Error Detected” message after software update - changing display auto select function to 7

I setup digital menu boards for a living. I connect 5 media players to 5 smart TVs and 2 switches as my job. I know how this stuff works. I shouldn't have these problems setting up a media player. All I see is a forum full of customers who all have the same problems and their not being helped by anyone at all. This is beyond outrageous. The Roku streambar device that I purchased clearly states "WORKS WITH ANY TV WITH AN HDMI PORT" yet here we are clearly not working on my tv that clearly has an HDMI port. If you tell me that the only solution is to purchase another TV than you need to purchase that TV for me because if I wanted to purchase a new TV I would have got a smart TV not a media player. Fix this Roku. Have a tech support phone number on the manual Roku. Just let me watch the streaming services that I'm paying good money for it's not too much to ask. If this device doesn't work on my 2008 Sony Bravia than put that information on the box so I don't waste my time and money. If Roku doesn't make my device work on my TV or buy me a TV that works with this device then I will sue for false advertising and report to Better Business Bureau 

This is the most dissatisfied I have ever been with any purchase. I could have invented my own media player that works in the amount of time I've spent just trying to get this garbage device to work 

0 Kudos
Chris61

I am having the same HDCP Error problem as everyone else. Everything was fine for about a year then suddenly my cabling is bad? I also went through all the troubleshooting steps you show in the guide multiple times. It makes no difference, just as other posters are also experiencing.

This is clearly a software problem created by Roku. Roku needs to fix it or start losing a lot of customers because right now ours is nearly unusable.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Chris61,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're running into! I'd be happy to help take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running. Can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can investigate further? Have you tried performing manual system updates by going to Settings>System>System update>Check now

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos