Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul22
Streaming Star

Re: HDCP Error Detected (Error 020)

Jump to solution

Have you guys tried disabling power saver mode (the feature that automatically turns off the Roku device after 20 mins of inactivity) to see if that helps?

I was getting the HDCP error every day after not using it for an extended period of time (i.e. overnight). When I’d turn my tv on the next day, I would get a black screen with a “no signal” message. I would then need to press the home button on my Roku remote to get the Roku home screen to appear. Then I’d start streaming something and I’d get the HDCP error right away.

I disabled power saver mode, and now when I turn my tv on after not watching anything for many hours (i.e. turn it on the next day), I now see the Roku screen saver instead of the “no signal” message. And when starting to stream something, it works fine with no HDCP error. It’s been 3 days and so far so good. I’ll continue to keep an eye on it.

Paul22
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Just wanted to provide an update that it’s been a week since I’ve disabled power saver mode and the HDCP error has not occurred since then.

ravim
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you Paul22. I just disable mine and will keep the community posted on how it goes. No word yet from Roky support (very disappointing that a great product has no support). Pinged them again.

0 Kudos
ravim
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you Paul22. I just disable mine and will keep the community posted on how it goes. No word yet from Roku support (very disappointing that a great product has no support). Pinged them again.

0 Kudos
Paul22
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I also just updated Roku support by providing the same info to them via my support ticket.

0 Kudos
ravim
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Paul22 You are the hero! 3+ days and counting and haven't had happen it yet. Error was averaging twice a day. Hopefully that is the solution. Kudos to you.

As expected no work from Roku Tech Support. Sucks.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,
Thanks for continuing to share what you're observing. 
We are currently aware and our engineering team has been investigating this issue closely.
In the meantime, please help us with the required details below for us to send additional information for the investigation to our engineering team, and once more information is available I'll be sure to let the Community know:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-what are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue or error message
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
Please be aware that we are actively monitoring and investigating the discussions on this thread. Thanks again for your continued patience.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Paul22
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hello.

Model - 3820CA - Streaming Stick 4K

Serial number - X01700JVF9GG

Device ID - S09141AVF9GG

Software version - 11.0.0 build 4193-CU

I’ve fixed the issue by disabling power saver (the feature that automatically turns off the Roku device after 20 mins of inactivity). It’s been almost 2 weeks since I’ve disabled power saver mode and I have not received the HDCP error since. When I had power saver mode enabled, I would get the HDCP error every day, once I started streaming something (anything) after not having used the Roku device for several hours (i.e. after power saver mode kicked in). So in my opinion, the HDCP error is clearly due to bad software/firmware that doesn’t handle the device’s power state properly.

If a new software version is going to be deployed to fix the problem, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE test it thoroughly before it’s released, and PLEASE make sure it doesn’t mess up anything else or introduce new bugs when power saver mode is disabled. I actually prefer keeping power saver disabled, so it would be very disappointing if something else breaks now that I have a stable and functional device.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Paul22,

Thanks for sharing the details and providing the steps on how you tried to resolve the HDCP issue.

In addition to the information you just provided, we would like to request the tracker ID when this HDCP issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times).

Once we have this detail, I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ravim
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@RokuMary-F Same fix worked for me too. It has been almost 5 days and have not  received the errors. I have already sent all the information to Tech Support for review by Engineering team.

0 Kudos