Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul22
Streaming Star

Re: HDCP Error Detected (Error 020)

Jump to solution

So based on my research, the HDCP errors are caused by the latest Roku firmware.

So then…when will Roku release new firmware to fix this???

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

No, it wasn't the latest firmware update. The errors go much further back for some users. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Paul22
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Interesting. OK thanks. And nothing from Roku to officially acknowledge this problem other than what they’ve already posted? I’ve tried their fixes without any luck. I’m using a brand new Streaming Stick 4K connected to a very old (15+ years) Samsung 1080p tv. Prior to the Roku, I used a Fire TV stick and a Chromecast on the same tv (streaming the same content) without any problems whatsoever. So this is definitely a Roku issue.

atc98092

Jump to solution

It is weird. I only see this error on rare occasions with my older Ultra 4640. No issues at all with any other of my Roku players. As someone who has done some programming in the past, I can say it's really difficult to troubleshoot issues that only occur randomly, and with only some devices. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Paul22
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Do you think it could be related to different hardware? For example, maybe the devices having issues have different chipsets compared to the devices that aren’t having issues? Or maybe the problematic ones were manufactured in a different location?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Certainly a possibility. But only Roku would know how each model varies with specific hardware. I only have two devices that both list the same CPU, but that doesn't mean the components used elsewhere on the player might have matching hardware. I've never opened one up, so I don't know how much they use discrete pieces or if it's all a single SoC design, with the entire system on a single chip.

Dan

0 Kudos
ravim
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I reached out to Roku Tech support since we were not getting response here. I provided them all the information; the frontline tech support then told me that they need to escalate to Engineering. That was a few days ago and I am waiting for response. 

I did mention to them this topic being active on the Community and that there are various other cases with different streaming media etc. 

I encourage everyone here to contact Roku Tech Support directly (https://support.roku.com/category/4403796545175)  and provide specifics of your situation.

It is still happening to me once or twice a day; if I power cycle the stick it works again.

Paul22
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks. I’ll submit a support ticket.

0 Kudos
AngelWithAnEye
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

What's really amazing to me is that Roku sees these complaints from their user base.  They know it's a problem.  They go into the office everyday and just don't care to fix it.  It's plain ignorance and I think I am done with them.  I have 3 Roku devices and need 2 more devices for the kids... it's going to have to be a Fire TV or other device.  It's sad.

atc98092

Jump to solution

We users have no idea how much effort Roku is putting into this. It doesn't happen with every player/TV combination, which makes troubleshooting extremely difficult. I would guess that they are working the problem, but finding it difficult to replicate the problem, and it's really hard to fix something if you can't make the error happen while testing.

Dan

0 Kudos