Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
micheles1145
Channel Surfer

Re: [OS 10.5] HDCP Error - need assistance

Jump to solution

If you can view the display. Unless someone can provide a fix for the HDCP Error, it’s entirely useless. Before they screwed the HDCP up with their latest firmware update, it was great! That’s why I went ahead and bought the new Roku Express 4K+ to go with my new 4K UHD TV, even though the Roku 2 worked with it prior to the firmware update. But, this situation is beyond ridiculous.

99X
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I don’t have as much vitriolic reaction as others on here, but my theory is this is just a huge oversight in the new firmware because this is obviously a firmware issue on Rokus side. 

micheles1145
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My vitriolic reaction has more to do with Roku’s seemingly lack of any care or customer service, as well as a seeming refusal to correct the problem. Their website doesn’t even seem to allow for direct communication with Roku support; just whomever might stroll through the “community”…

0 Kudos
eab
Binge Watcher

Re: HDCP Error Detected (Error 020)

Jump to solution

3941X Roku express 4k+

Serial no. X01600g351r3

software version 1100 build 4193-cr

uptime 12 hours 44 minutes

device id  so7p21c351r3

every time I turn on I get this error.

0 Kudos
FAS
Binge Watcher

Re: HDCP Error...............

Jump to solution

I did not find a solution to my ongoing instances of the HDCP Error message in the suggested link.

I am using my TV with a Roku Express directly connected via HDMI. Intermittently I am getting a HDCP Error detected screen. This is usually at the start of streaming a movie. The audio can be heard continuing behind the error screen, but no video. Various unplugging's of power and HDMI cable generally restore the operation, but it is a pain. I have changed the HDMI cable to be sure that is not the problem. The error screen emphasizes that all units must support HDCP.

I did contact the TV manufacturer (it is a new TV) and was told that the TV did not have HDCP compatibility. Is there a setting in my Roku Express that can be set so that HDCP is not required?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HDCP Error...............

Jump to solution

@FAS the information you were provided was inaccurate. All TVs are required to support HDCP, and they do. No, there is no way to disable HDCP, as it is required for all HDMI connected devices that display copyrighted content. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
eab
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Is anyone going to respond to my query?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@eab this is not a tech support forum. It's a user forum to share info, and in some cases get issues resolved. The Roku staff that monitor this forum are not tech support, although they do attempt to assist with some of the simpler issues. 

HDCP issues have been ongoing with some devices for close to two years. Sometimes the issue is the HDMI cable in use, sometimes it's dust or contaminants within the HDMI connector. Sometimes it's the display, and sometimes it's the Roku.

I didn't look back to see what your specific issue is. But the first thing to try is a new HDMI cable. Then try a different HDMI jack in the TV (if there's another available). You can try the Roku on a different TV and see if the problem persists. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ravim
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I am still getting these errors once or twice a day. To get rid of the error all have to do is power cycle stick and starts working. So I don't think it is dust or cable or the connector. I don't have another TV to try. How do I contact Roku tech support? 

0 Kudos
katnmouse

Jump to solution

yeah Danny, your instructions to fix the error doesn't work. I've tried everything. I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to ditch Roku and use another streaming device. This is ridiculous. Fix this.