Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dasmike
Channel Surfer

ONLY Disney Plus not playing on Roku

My Roku Premiere 3290X works fine for every other streaming service I use, but not Disney Plus. It will let me log into the application and choose a show or series, however it won't let me stream it. Whenever I try to play something, a notification of "an unexpected error has occurred(but not server timeout or http error)" pops up . My Disney Plus account works on all other devices I have. I've also tried all of the typical troubleshoot methods: unplugged device, deleted the application, signed in and out, cleared the cache, reset my Roku to factory defaults, and the application still does not stream. My internet connection works as I am able to stream all other services with no issue. I've contacted Disney who have confirmed that my model still is compatible with the service. They led me to believe it's a problem due to the Roku, as it's the only device that I can not stream on with. 

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: ONLY Disney Plus not playing on Roku

If you look at the Disney+ website under supported device yours is not mentioned. There is no such thing as "clear cache" on a Roku. Are you sure you don't mean 3920X? There i a Roku Premier 3920 which was released back in 2018. According to Disney these are the only supported Roku's: 

0 Kudos
dasmike
Channel Surfer

My mistake, it is a Roku Premiere 3920X, and I looked up a quick technique which invoked me pressing different button on the Roku remote to “clear it’s cache” but that didn’t work, and I’m still having issue streaming Disney on the advice

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Your Roku isn’t supported 

• Roku LT (2700X)

• Roku 1, 2, 3, 4

• Roku Express, Express+

• 4K Roku Premiere, Premiere+

• 4K Roku Ultra, Ultra LT

• Roku Streaming Stick

• 4K Roku Streaming Stick+

• 4K Roku Smart Speaker

• Roku TV

That clear cache was some bogus website. Firesticks actually have a clear cache feature

0 Kudos
dasmike
Channel Surfer

My Roku has played Disney Plus before though, only in the past few days has it stopped. And Disney Plus customer support told me that my model supports The service. 

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Whatever they said to is not true according to the website. You never mentioned it was working. Did you recently upgrade to Roku OS 11? Go to settings/ system/ about. What does it say for software version? Have you tried removing the channel, restart your Roku, re add the channel? In that order? Your Roku is about 4 years old. Life span is about 3-5 years old. 

0 Kudos
dasmike
Channel Surfer

My Roku is updated the the newest OS, as I updated it literally yesterday. And I have tried all of those steps several times in that order as well. If my Roku has a lifespan where it can no longer play certain streaming services after a certain amount of time, then I find that very confusing why Disney Plus is literally bundled in as a button on my Roku's remote. 

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

So you confirmed your running Roku OS 11? Companies such as Disney, Hulu, Netflix and others pay to advertise for there products. Your Roku is about 4 years old. Disney+ was released back in 2019. At the time your Roku was supported and was new. 4 years later it is no longer new. This happens all the time. Great thing is Roku's are cheap. You buy a new Roku Express 4K+ for $29.00. If you tried everything and it still does not work then it is time to upgrade your Roku. Just like 3G phones are no longer supported by certain carriers. Roku does not even sell or make the Premiere+ versions anymore. 

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-premiere-plus

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

I have 9 Roku devices. Oldest one is 4 year old. It's a Roku Stick. Works great and plays Disney+ just fine. It could be related to Roku OS 11 upgrade. But then again your Roku is 4 years old. Unfortunately you cannot roll back to Roku OS 10.5

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @dasmike,

Thanks for sharing your experience! I have a few more questions to better understand the behavior you are seeing: 
1. What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing?
2. Do you observe this behavior while using any other channel(s) on your device?

If it isn't resolved for you, let us know your device's serial number and your software version, found under Home > Settings > System > About.

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos