Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

OANN video playback distorted cropped streaming frame

Jump to solution

No option to remove the streaming OANN app from my Roku. That option does NOT appear. If it did, I would remove it and then download it again to see if that resolves my video playback issues.

In the OAN video streaming the displayed video is losing 30-40 percent of the screen across the bottom and 30-40 percent of the right portion of the screen as well. This issue only impacts the OANN app on Roku. No other Roku streaming app I utilize suffers this problem. OANN app suffers this video cropping in the streaming. POOR VIDEO QUALITY CROPPED IMAGE PLAYBACK on the OANN app.

No article on the ROKU COMMUNITY addresses this specific issue. There’s nobody to call, as no support numbers seem to exist or are so obscurely places the contact numbers cannot be found.

IF this issue persists I will cancel my OAN app streaming service before my next billing 7/14/2020.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: OANN video playback distorted cropped streaming frame

Jump to solution

Called OAN Transport Engineer @ (858) 270-6900 and spoke with Mr ABSAI. Roku pushed an app update late Friday 7/3/2020. ROKU engineers were off over the holiday weekend. I just took the update ROKU SYSTEM UPDATE to pick up the new OAN update. The Update WORKED resolving the cropped video stream issue with both my Roku3 devices.

Recommend everyone get the OAN update, then reboot your Roku device(s).

Thank you

Jim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I also have this problem for a couple days now.  Resetting Roku does no good.  Wondering if I need to find an alternative to Roku and it's poor support for subscription channels.

Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

Each channel creates, provides, and maintains its own app to stream their channel to the Roku, as well as deciding and programming its features, including geographical areas of operation. Roku only provides the platform on which the 3rd party channel apps run. You should direct your questions and concerns to the channel. (Exceptions are the two channels provided by Roku, The Roku Channel and Roku Media Player. For these you should contact Roku.)

I know you guys think OANN can do no wrong, but really, when it is the only app you say is exhibiting the problem, where to you think the fault lies?

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Emailed OANN executives yesterday July 3, 2020 describing this issue detailed here in community.

ann.schick@oann.com - Executive VP content distribution (858) 270-6900

aaron.cornils@oann.com - Transport Engineer (858) 270-6900

Charles.herring@oann.com - Herring Media Group (858) 270-6900

Additional findings: 

(1) No change in identified problem. This occurs across two different Roku models both fairly recent models purchased 2 and 3 years ago respectively.

(2) No response to date from OAN executives.

(3) PlutoTV channel carries OAN ENCORE (free) rerunning principal OAN news personalities broadcasts [Ledger Report, Tipping Point, After Hours, etc] a few hours after original streaming broadcasts. I’ve yet to see any OAN Live streaming on this PlutoTV channel. I do prefer live streaming of OAN content. Viewing OAN ENCORE rebroadcasted programs [appear uneffected & normal] on PlutoTV while the streaming signal on the OAN app on my tv continues to appear cropped. 

(4) Based on (1) & (3) above, I’m inclined to think Roku may have tweaked the transmission being relayed to its client users [for whatever reason intentionally or otherwise]. If Roku has intentionally tweaked [distorted] the transmission from OAN to Roku clients, purchasing a newer Roku device would not correct the video cropping issue. 

(4) Considering my options (a) cancelling as originally mentioned, (b) risk upgrade to another newer Roku model or (c) obtain AppleTV which may also experience this intentionally cropped streaming video. 

(5) I’m going to take the wait and see approach. Keep Monitoring to see if other Roku users and AppleTV users are having this issue with those devices. I’ll keep following up with my OAN executive contacts BY EMAIL and CALL AGAIN. I really believe they [OAN] need to follow up with ROKU, because the original transmissions [delayed] through PlutoTV look normal without any video cropping.

Thanks for responding as promptly as you had.

Jim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

So, after doing some research on the present Roku device offerings and [extensive] customer reviews of each. I’ve determined my two Roku3 devices are of sufficient use and functionality for now. Features and functionality, particularly in the remote is critical for my personal use. I’m not happy with the current offerings and have no intention of upgrading to a moderate or more expensive [after market third party] unit with [by many accounts] apparent defects and less functionality [i.e. no side audio jack] than what I presently have with my Roku3 remotes. Though the print on the remote buttons is wearing off - all work perfectly well on my Roku3 remote. I may consider a Roku4 [IF] I could obtain a new one unused and in a sealed box and may begin checking for that. I’m consciously concerned about the voice remote products as opting in for using the devices introduces vulnerabilities to privacy concerns, as bigtech [uses this tech for marketing] offering zero security against eavesdropping.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Just called the Transport Engineer @ (858) 270-6900 and left a message. This has been going on for at least a week with my Express Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Could well be a Roku issue.

Read thread "Ads Causing Multiple Channels to Zoom In".

Your OANN comment was a bit tacky makaiguy.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same here.  They need to fix it or I'll be leaving as well.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Called OAN Transport Engineer @ (858) 270-6900 and spoke with Mr ABSAI. Roku pushed an app update late Friday 7/3/2020. ROKU engineers were off over the holiday weekend. I just took the update ROKU SYSTEM UPDATE to pick up the new OAN update. The Update WORKED resolving the cropped video stream issue with both my Roku3 devices.

Thank you

Jim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you

Jim

0 Kudos