Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carvermon
Level 8

Nothing but green screen

My previously working streaming stick now will only display a solid green screen. I have tried restarting it and resetting it (going through the setup menu from the beginning) and it continues to go to a solid green screen.
Any input will be appreciated.
9 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Nothing but green screen

Thanks for the note. A couple questions here to help better understand the issue:  

- Have you tried connecting the device to a different HDMI port on your TV? 

- Have you tried plugging your device into a different TV to see if it works correctly? 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Carvermon
Level 8

Hello and thanks for the response. A different port on the same TV changed nothing. I attached it to a different TV and while I unfortunately had to reactivate the unit and re-update the channels, etc., it does work on the other TV.

The first TV (with the green screen) is an older flatscreen, and I just now noticed that I can't stream things on it from an AppleTV, though the menu still functions. At some point today a notice came up mentioning an HDCP compatibility problem. Did something change since yesterday that would stop a ROKU from functioning at all without a newer TV?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

That seems a bit odd—moving your device to another TV should not require you to link your device to your account and set it up again, unless you factory reset the device. 

A few more questions here:

- Where did you see the HDCP error occurring? 

- What is the specific make/model of the TV that you are experiencing the green screen issue with? 

- When you first connect power to the Streaming Stick while it is connected to the TV, do you see the 'Roku' logo screen appear when the device is starting up? 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Carvermon
Level 8

I did reset the Stick when attempting a fix earlier (see first note)

The HDCP error appeared after trying to stream from Amazon Prime on the Apple TV.

It is a Samsung LN-S2641D

I just reconnected it to the problem TV - If connected to power while stick is in TV, or after doing a one touch reset, I get the jumping ROKU letters for a few moments, then the green screen.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

@Carvermon wrote:

I did reset the Stick when attempting a fix earlier (see first note)

The HDCP error appeared after trying to stream from Amazon Prime on the Apple TV.

It is a Samsung LN-S2641D

I just reconnected it to the problem TV - If connected to power while stick is in TV, or after doing a one touch reset, I get the jumping ROKU letters for a few moments, then the green screen.

It's possible your HDMI cable might have failed, as that can cause an HDCP error, but honestly it sounds like the TV is failing. I tried to figure out how old the TV is (when it was released) but couldn't find anything online. When a device works on one TV but not another, and when more than one device has problems on the TV, that kind of eliminates the devices as the problem, unfortunately. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Carvermon
Level 8

While the AppleTV uses a cable, the Streaming Stick connects directly to the TV. It does seem that the device is not the issue. Just not sure if the TV has a glitch or the internet streaming protocol has changed rendering the TV "unstreamable" because of its age (this seems more likely to me). The AppleTV still works on it to stream from iTunes on my Mac, but apparently not from the internet.

Thank you much for your efforts! Cheers!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

@Carvermon wrote:

Just not sure if the TV has a glitch or the internet streaming protocol has changed rendering the TV "unstreamable" because of its age (this seems more likely to me). 

Thank you much for your efforts! Cheers!

Nah, HDMI doesn't have any control over how the Internet device streams. It's simply the video and audio conduit between the player and the display. But between the HDMI protocol and HDCP data protection, it's certainly possible the TV has had a failure with its HDMI ports. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Carvermon
Level 8

Just a little followup. The AppleTV still functions with full menu and can stream YouTube videos (though currently not Prime videos), so it seems very odd that the ROKU device won't even give access to the main screen or menu, just a dead green screen. Hmmm.

0 Kudos
Carvermon
Level 8

Final follow up - The TV is not failing, and there clearly WAS a recent change in how the HDCP signal is sent to or at least received by older, non-HDCP compliant TVs. This ROKU device had been working perfectly on this TV for years, and on the same day the ROKU device was rendered completely unusable and the AppleTV, while still functioning, would not play most streamed content.

Today I attached an HDMI splitter whose maker claimed it would not pass along the HDCP data and the ROKU immediately began to function again and stream content. I guess the questions remaining are why was this TV working with these devices previously, and how and why was this change made now.

Thanks again for the efforts to remedy this issue.

0 Kudos