Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
straycat
Level 8

None of my channels will load

Jump to solution

This is the second day of slow or no loading of any channels on my Roku device.  I've tried unplugging everything, rebooting everything, and have gotten nowhere.  I can't get live tv or stream shows or movies without constant buffering or 'unable to load at this time'.  My Roku was last updated yesterday Nov 6.  Please advise.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 21

Re: None of my channels will load

Jump to solution

@straycat wrote:

I have the Roku Premiere model #3920X.  The OS is 9.4.0 * Build 4188-91.  The channels affected are the Roku Channel, Hulu+Live TV, Britbox, Tubi, PBS.  What happens is that the channels take a long time to load.  Then when I'm watching the program I see the loading icon, then it plays for a minute or two, loading icon etc.  Hulu keeps telling me they're 'having trouble playing this'.  Tubi tells me 'something went wrong'.  I try again with the same results.

The problem is sporadic.  Yesterday it was acting up, but then in the evening everything was okay, with only a couple of 'buffering' incidents.  Some days it's okay the whole day.  Today it's doing what it did over the weekend (see my post above).

Thanks for the information. Yes, network issues might cause problems like this. Especially since it's not a constant issue. The first thing you might try is changing the channel your wireless radio uses. Most are set to Auto and don't always select the best one. See what channel it's using now and move in the opposite direction. If you're using a channel in the middle, move to either end. Remember that your 3920 only supports the 2.4 GHz band, so don't bother with any 5 GHz radio settings. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
straycat
Level 8

Jump to solution

straycat here - let me elaborate.  This has happened before on weekends.  During the past week I had no problems.  When I moved the Roku to a location closer to my router there was no change in signal strength or download speed.  I live in an apt complex.  If a lot of people have routers in close proximity does that affect the speed at which channels load content?  I'm thinking it might not be the Roku but some environmental thing. Any help is appreciated as I try to understand this tech stuff.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

First thing we need to know is what model Roku you have. The model number, not just the name, as Roku reuses names on different players. 

Your wireless environment shouldn't have any impact on a channel loading. Can you be more specific about what it's doing (or not doing)? Do you get a loading icon but nothing ever happens? Does any channel load? What version of the Roku OS is it running? Can you list some of the channels that aren't working?

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Dmke1970
Level 7

Jump to solution

Mine is doing the same thing.  I did exactly what you did still nothing.  

0 Kudos
straycat
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have the Roku Premiere model #3920X.  The OS is 9.4.0 * Build 4188-91.  The channels affected are the Roku Channel, Hulu+Live TV, Britbox, Tubi, PBS.  What happens is that the channels take a long time to load.  Then when I'm watching the program I see the loading icon, then it plays for a minute or two, loading icon etc.  Hulu keeps telling me they're 'having trouble playing this'.  Tubi tells me 'something went wrong'.  I try again with the same results.

The problem is sporadic.  Yesterday it was acting up, but then in the evening everything was okay, with only a couple of 'buffering' incidents.  Some days it's okay the whole day.  Today it's doing what it did over the weekend (see my post above).

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@straycat wrote:

Thanks for the information. Yes, network issues might cause problems like this. Especially since it's not a constant issue. The first thing you might try is changing the channel your wireless radio uses. Most are set to Auto and don't always select the best one. See what channel it's using now and move in the opposite direction. If you're using a channel in the middle, move to either end. Remember that your 3920 only supports the 2.4 GHz band, so don't bother with any 5 GHz radio settings. 

Dan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
straycat
Level 8

Jump to solution

Even though the Roku device tells me there's no change in signal strength or download speed by moving it closer to the router, I went ahead and moved it closer to the router.  The problem is solved.  I have no idea why LOL

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos