Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vichardy
Level 7

No video over HDMI

Somewhere on this forum I saw this topic but now I can't find it.  Yesterday my video went black over HDMI.  The audio works.  I'm plugging the Roku stick into my audio amp and then HDMI to my TV.  I've tried a new HDMI cable, different TV HDMI input ports and another stick from another TV with no success.  If I plug directly into the TV it works.  Video from my XBox works over the same HDMI cable.

What I was reading is that there was a recent firmware update to 9.4 so I have to assume that's the problem.  I've sent a note to Roku but I'm wondering if anybody knows when they will fix the firmware.  I'm really not keen on resetting the stick to factory settings for obvious reasons, not to mention it will just update to 9.4 again anyway.

I have two Roku TV's and the other stick plugs directly into a TV and they all work fine, only the one that transmits video over and HDMI cable.  I could run to Best Buy and purchase an overpriced HDMI cable but I'm confident that will not fix it.

Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
7 Replies
NTC
Level 10

Re: No video over HDMI

I had the same problem that started this morning. I was able to see the Home (menu) screen but when I tried to stream a movie from Disney or Prime, all I got was audio, no video. I looked at the display settings and saw that it failing in HDCP handshaking. Turning off/on power fixed it (for now).

0 Kudos
HandsomeJohnnie
Level 8

I have this issue as well starting 13-Nov-2020. Audio playback works. Bouncing Roku start-up screen works, but then I get a video mode unsupported message from my older model Sharp Aquos TV. It worked flawlessly up to today.

0 Kudos
HandsomeJohnnie
Level 8

0 Kudos
TTOWNGIRL
Level 7

We have same issue down to the  Sharp aquos tv.  Audio fine, no video

Exasperated on how to fix Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series)  @ no video

0 Kudos
HandsomeJohnnie
Level 8

I got ours working by holding down the reset button on the Roku stick for about 10sec until the light flashed quickly for a second or two. It does a hard reset and you have to enter everything over but it was up and running when I finished. Good luck. 

0 Kudos
Pamly823
Level 7

I have a Sharp Aquos as well and video just stopped working. I have tried a hard reset on my Roku Ultra and it didn’t work. Anyone have any other ideas?

0 Kudos
NTC
Level 10

@Pamly823 wrote:

I have a Sharp Aquos as well and video just stopped working. I have tried a hard reset on my Roku Ultra and it didn’t work. Anyone have any other ideas?

When you are not seeing video, and you can see the home screen, then go to settings -> display type -> auto detect and press auto detect again. This will reevaluate your connection. It is likely your HDCP is failing. I suspect whatever the last OS update did, it broke the HDCP handshaking for some devices.

Today I received a new OS update, it may resolve this problem, we'll see.

0 Kudos