Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guitarz6
Level 8

No surround sound audio

Jump to solution

Just got a Roku Premier and it's plugged into my" LG - 55" Class - OLED - C7 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR" Tv.  The stereo is a Denon AVR-S54OBT.

The Roku is plugged into HDMI3 and the Denon is in HDMI2.  The Denon gets sound from our U-Verse box in HDMI1 with no problems.  The Roku ONLY produces sound through the internal TV speakers.

I also tried this with no luck:

• Connect the end of the HDMI cable that is not attached to your Roku player, or connect your Streaming Stick to an available HDMI input on your AVR or soundbar.
  • Connect a Premium High Speed HDMI Cable to an output on the AVR or soundbar. Connect the opposite end to an available HDMI input on your TV.

I went through the troubleshooting video & tried all the options with no success.

I'm about ready to send the box back & go with another manufacturer.  Any reason I can't get sound out to the stereo??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: No surround sound audio

Jump to solution

And there was no AVR speaker-audio even when you connected the Premiere directly to the AVR?

Connecting it to your AVR and still not getting audio out of the AVR really seems like an AVR configuration issue;  there is a setting for "HDMI Audio out" for your model - is set to TV or AVR? (should be AVR).  There is also a setting for "TV Auto switching" - there are reports that LG TVs and some other devices cause problems with this, and it has to be disabled.

When you connect it that way, what does Settings/Audio/HDMI/Auto detect=?

Have you tried changing that to PCM stereo connected either way? (TV or AVR)

View solution in original post

5 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 16

Jump to solution

There is no reason/limitation in the Premiere as to why you are experiencing this behavior.

Your setup generally sounds correct - make sure you have the latest (06.00.05) firmware for your C7 and AVR, and that you have Simplink/CEC/ARC enabled in your TV/AVR.

If you havent already powered down the entire device chain (unplugged completely) for a few minutes you should, then power them back in the following order:  AVR, TV, Roku/U-verse

ARC "appears" to be correctly configured/working, since you get sound from your U-verse box connected to HDMI1 on the C7 (if youre using ARC you shouldnt be using Optical/Coax from the U-verse box to your AVR, and this could/would be the likely source of the problem).

Your C7 (or AVR) would seem to be the problem point - the Roku cant control the TV's sound configuration (Settings/Sound/Sound out=ARC/Optical vs. Internal speakers etc). 

You should check the TV's sound configuration, especially when you switch inputs on it (Sound out=ARC/Optical) - it should remain consistent (it shouldnt change from ARC/Optical to internal speakers or vice versa based upon the TV's current input).

Otherwise, your AVR needs to be on its "TV Input" (ARC/Optical) setting whenever you are using the TV, regardless of TV input - make sure this isnt somehow switching to something else when you switch the TVs inputs.  If it is switching (to something other than TV input on the AVR), either a setting in the AVR or a device sending an incorrect CEC command is the problem (try removing everything else from the device chain except the Roku/TV/AVR to troubleshoot/isolate the problem device).

guitarz6
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes, the sound is currently set to ARC/Optical and doesn't switch when I change inputs.  The AVR has an HDMI port labeled "Monitor" which is connected to HDMI2 on the TV.  I even tried to plug the Roku into an unused HDMI port on the AVR - in this case "Game" - per their troubleshooting page but it's still a no-go.

I did try to isolate everything as you suggested; Roku into HDMI1 on the TV & the AVR into HDMI2.  Double-checked the audio settings in the TV and the AVR.  Everything looked correct but again, no-go.  I truly appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

Jump to solution

And there was no AVR speaker-audio even when you connected the Premiere directly to the AVR?

Connecting it to your AVR and still not getting audio out of the AVR really seems like an AVR configuration issue;  there is a setting for "HDMI Audio out" for your model - is set to TV or AVR? (should be AVR).  There is also a setting for "TV Auto switching" - there are reports that LG TVs and some other devices cause problems with this, and it has to be disabled.

When you connect it that way, what does Settings/Audio/HDMI/Auto detect=?

Have you tried changing that to PCM stereo connected either way? (TV or AVR)

View solution in original post

guitarz6
Level 8

Jump to solution

That did it - the setup for the AVR.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

Jump to solution

Good to hear its resolved - AVRs can/do have all sorts of settings for which the impact isnt necessarily obvious, or is opposite of what one intuitively thinks based upon the name/options.

0 Kudos