Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
10Q10Q
Reel Rookie

Re: No sound

Jump to solution

I suspect it is a hardware problem, and nothing can be done with a software update.  Probably when designed they look at the statistics of how long a certain component will last under normal usage conditions and go with the cheapest part that will last that duration. Maybe that figure would be about 3 hours a day of use.   NOW here comes Covid and people are using their device 2 to 4 times that amount.  So instead of lasting 5 years at 3 hours a day, now we might get a year???

Not trying to make excuses for Roku, but just a guess why we have no response from them...They just sit back with 3 million of their devices already completed, and hope this blows over someday....LOL
But I could be wrong.

tlveik
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@10Q10Q wrote:

I suspect it is a hardware problem.

I don't think so.  Hardware problems don't fix themselves with a restart.

0 Kudos
jmsnodgrass
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

If I am reading responses in this thread correctly, this problem is across different Roku models.  If so, in order to be a hardware problem, they all would have to have the same exact part failing.  I agree with others here.  I suspect it's a software issue, although I noticed my Roku Express runs pretty warm.  

0 Kudos
10Q10Q
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It was only a thought.
I was a service engineer for a mfg. of computer operated industrial machines.  We had what we called "phantom problems".  By the time we shut down a machine to troubleshoot it, the problem went away.
It was later discovered that it was a heat issue. Some single or multiple components tolerances changed with the heat and caused issues.  So when we power down and back on you've allowed that unit to change temp. Some components after having multiple power down and ups will weaken and finally fail to the point where, it will never seem to work correctly.  In our case, we changed the one card we thought was causing the problems.  With the Roku, unless we do see some correction from them, I guess it will be thrown away???
Just my $.02

0 Kudos
Tonyr

Jump to solution

Yes that is fine but why does it keep happening. It started about a month ago and it happens periodically with no warning

0 Kudos
Dsmith5432
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have three different TVs that have the same issues. I can watch Netflix and then watch YouTube and when I change channel there’s no audio. I’ve tried to unplug and it will work fine for a bit but comes back. I’ve been trying for about two weeks. 

0 Kudos
LindaD1

Jump to solution

I also have no sound on my oldest Roku Device which is 2-2 1/2 yrs old.  I already did on my own what you suggest; removing device from tv for a minute or so and then plugging it back on - with NO success; OR trying a different HDMI port - also with no success.  However, you should know the devise was quite hot when I removed it from the tv so I also let it cool down.  But still no success.  Could it be that the souls element within the device just went bad?  Although this one was used the least between the 3 we have.  The newest is in the LR tv and we noticed yesterday it was quite hot.  But after it cooled down, we put it in a different port and it was only warming today.   Linda D. 

0 Kudos
Steuen
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I changed my settings to PCM Stereo a month ago and have had no problems since. Heat issue in the Dolby circuitry - maybe; the heat may have prematurely aged some of the components. HW issue - maybe; many designers reuse circuitry across devices - I know I did. SW issue - maybe; with the heat and circuitry components degrading, a software setting might be at the edge of functionality so that when the circuit changes, the software doesn't run right. Issue with a software upgrade - maybe; many companies do regression testing only on the part of the software that they changed, not across the entire platform (saves time and money if they get it right - get complaints like these if they don't). Also both the hardware and software can get to a logical state that can be reset with a power cycle. The idea of leaving the unit unplugged for 10 minutes is an old one that was valid in it's day - large capacitors needed to discharge their stored energy. With integrated circuits the capacitors are much smaller as are the voltages. 

Again, I changed my audio settings from auto or Dolby to PCM Stereo and the issue has not repeated.

0 Kudos
Robbie4
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

All suggestions work, but only for the moment. It's not worth all the trouble if the next day or next week the sound goes away again...so unplug device or switch cables or etc  I would like a permanent solution? Thank you!

0 Kudos
Robbie4
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Further and permanent solution.

Did everything you suggested 

Maybe didn't brand of device? Except I bought roku device for all my TVs in my house; and everyone has lost sound at one time or another. Sounds like Roku device problem???

0 Kudos