Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
szvacek
Reel Rookie

No sound with Ultra, Sonos Soundbar and Samsung TV

I installed a Ultra about 2 months ago on my Samsung smart TV with has a Sonos soundbar optically attached to it.  The setup went smoothly and everything worked fine, even controlling the soundbar volume.

In the last couple of days, when we turn on the TV for the first time, there is no audio.  The "sounds" when the Ultra start up work, but no audio.  The only fix I have found is to removed power from the Ultra and restart it, then everything is fine, even when we turned it off and back on that day.  I don't have to restart the TV, just the Ultra device.  Preplexed!

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: No sound with Ultra, Sonos Soundbar and Samsung TV

A couple of things could be happening. Your Roku could be sleeping. Go into your power settings and disable the power saving feature. Also disable bandwidth saver. Removed your soundbar from the setup. Just use your TV speakers. See what happens 

0 Kudos
jaybfl
Binge Watcher

I am having the same issue now for multiple weeks. I have had my Ultra for over a year now and never had sound problems.

When the problem happens, I lose sound in multiple apps like YouTube TV, Pandora and Amazon Music. Once I restart the Roku device the sound is back. The problem is that I end up having to restart pretty much every day. Oh yeah, I also can hear the Roku sounds when the apps have no sound. 

My Roku connects to my TV with an HDMI cable. The TV connects to my receiver with an optical cable. This is the setup I have had since I first purchased my Roku Ultra. I am not using power saver mode. Bandwidth saver is on but has been on since I purchased the device. 

0 Kudos
szvacek
Reel Rookie

I turned off both powersaver mode and bandwidth saver.  One difference is mine is in the wired mode.  I have a Cat5 cable from the router to the ultra.  The problem went away after making those changes.

0 Kudos
jaybfl
Binge Watcher

Interesting. I also have a Cat5 connection. I will try the bandwidth saver change. Still now sure why this would cause problems after a year. Maybe it was a recent update. 

0 Kudos
szvacek
Reel Rookie

I suspect there was a software update and it caused a problem.

0 Kudos
jaybfl
Binge Watcher

I am still having the problem with power saver and bandwidth saver both turned off. 

0 Kudos