Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

No sound when displaying in 4k on Roku Ultra

I have a Roku Ultra connected to my Samsung Q90R soundbar with the soundbar connected to my Samsung Q8FN TV. I'm using super high speed 8K HDMI cables for all connections.

When I set the display setting on the Roku to automatic or to any of the 4K options then I lose all sound when trying to play content. I initially hear the menu sounds as I click into an app like Disney+ or Netflix, but when I select a 4K UHD movie to watch it produces no sound. When I navigate back out to the menu I no longer hear menu sounds too. I have to change the display setting back to 1080 to get sound.

Super frustrated. What am I doing wrong? Is this a Roku problem or an issue with my Samsung soundbar? Any help would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
11 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: No sound when displaying in 4k on Roku Ultra

I have the same setup and mostly the same issues.  I can play an episode on Disney + or Netflix but when the next episode goes to start there is no sound. see the HDCP error a lot, but everything is 2.2 certified including the cables.

TV: samsung QN82Q65FN - T-KTM2AKUC-1290.4, BT-s

Soundbar Samsung HW-Q90RWWB - 1008.0 126r

Roku 4660X Roku Ultra - 9.2.0 build 4807-46

Sound great when it works, very frustrating when it cuts out, about ready to try an apple TV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@mcampbell681 Thanks for the note. In Settings>Audio, both 'Audio mode' and 'HDMI' need to be set to Auto/Auto-detect. Do you have the settings configured this way? Both Disney+ and Netflix offer Dolby Atmos audio, which requires Roku audio settings to be configured to Auto/Auto-detect. 

This could also possibly relate to HDMI/HDCP as well. 4K / HDR content requires HDCP 2.2, and HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI cables in order to display content properly. If you aren't using high speed, HDCP 2.2 certified HDMI cables, this could also be the source of an issue. 

Beyond that, it might be a configuration issue with either your TV or the soundbar that would need to be adjusted. I tested this setup using a Q70R soundbar, and I am able to hear audio sounds just fine in both Disney+ and Netflix. 

Keep us posted from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

My cables are definitely HDCP 2.2 certified HDMI cables. The audio and HDMI are set to auto along with the display setting. I actually got the Roku to play some 4k content yesterday, but it's still goes in and out on the audio. Whenever the audio goes out I have to change the display setting back to 1080 to get audio to work again. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@mcampbell681  Thanks for following up here. 

- What are a couple examples of both: 1. the streaming channel and 2. a specific content title that you've observed the issue on while streaming? (e.g. Disney+ - The Mandalorian Season 1 - Episode 1.)

- Does this occur in other channels, such as 'The Roku Channel' or 'YouTube'?

- If you change the option in Settings>Audio to PCM / Stereo, do you observe the same audio loss? 

- During playback, when you lose audio, press the * key on your remote. A menu should appear on the lefthand side of the screen. Look for the setting for 'Volume Mode'. Is this turned to Leveling, Night, of 'Off'? 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Community Manager

I have a brand new Premiere.  Unboxed and set up with all cables in the box.  Every single time I shut off my TV the next time I go to use it I have no sound.  I have to unplug the device and then it works fine.  I have searched and searched for fixes and boy is this a very common problem.  The only Fixes ROKU sends are cable replacements or other generic user related issues vs actually accepting the fact that it's a device issue.  I had a firestick and it was set up the exact same and never once had an issue.  Only swapped to roku for one reason...and if this isnt resolved I will be returning because what an irritation to have to do this everytime.  I should be able to turn on my TV and have it work 100% of the time.  It is not my settings either...I tried every solution...nothing works.  

So please tell me what Roku is doing to fix the problem?  You can't have millions of users with the same problem and continue to blame them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

The volume number showing the loudness of the volume on TV programs is stuck Liteblue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I just started having the same problem.  Sound worked flawlessly, until this week.  Now I have to unplug Roku power then it works fine all day.  Next morning I have to unplug power again for sound.  Setup has not changed in years.  Ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

So I finally just had to stop using the Roku and just use the TV apps with the sound bar. Sure it isn't a Roku issue but a Samsung issue. Has to be wife usable thoufh, sorry Roku still a big fan, hope no issues in the media room rebuild.

0 Kudos
Level 7

I also have this issue. With multiple ROKU's. My living room setup is Roku direct to TV. and it sometimes has this issue.

My home theater uses a Samsung soundbar as well as 4k Projector and using High speed Active HDMI cables that are 2.0b. Roku to soundbar is the included HDMI cable with the ROKU 4k. 

Menu sounds are there, and when i go into Disney+ sound is still there, when I actually play a video, the video will play fine, but no audio. Everything is set to Auto/auto and most likely out of box settings. 

Back when everything was 1080P...it would randomly/Rarely not work with audio, but with 4k its almost every time i play a video the audio is not there.

0 Kudos