Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ian85
Level 7

No sound using Sonos Arc

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Ultra connected to my Dolby Atmos compatible TV, along with a Sonos Arc soundbar. Both are connected directly to the TV via HDMI.  Up until today, I have had no issues with the Roku or the sound coming from the Arc when using the Roku.  I have the audio settings on the Roku set to "auto-detect" and it says it detects DD+ and Dolby Atmos, and until today my Sonos app also confirmed an Atmos signal when using the Roku.  However, during the middle of streaming a movie on the Roku today, the sound cut out completely. At first I tried just exiting the movie and replaying, but that didn't work. I was also not hearing any of the menu click sounds anymore on the Roku home screen.  I have tried twice now to power cycle it, both by unplugging and doing system restarts, neither worked.  My Sonos app also confirms it is no longer receiving an Atmos signal from the Roku.  When I switch the audio settings on the Roku from auto detect to PCM-Stereo I get sound again, but obviously not Atmos sound.  I have also tried swapping out the HDMI cables but that didn't work either. Any suggestions or insights?  Permanently switching the audio to stereo on the Roku is not an option given the Roku is Dolby Atmos compatible and I have an $800 soundbar that is working just fine. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Level 15

Re: No sound using Sonos Arc

Jump to solution

Its not clear that you have an Ultra 2020 (model 4800), but the fact that you mentioned your Roku detects "Dolby Atmos" suggests that you do, in which case you want to make sure your Settings/Audio/HDMI="Auto passthrough" (not "Auto detect" which converts all audio to the highest Dolby level of the detected connected device)

The latest firmware for the 4800 is 9.4.1-4222, make sure yours has that.

Barring that, you may want to power-cycle everything in your HDMI chain (TV and soundbar included), turning everything off for a few minutes, making sure to turn them on in the following order:  ARC device (soundbar), TV, then Roku.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 15

Jump to solution

Its not clear that you have an Ultra 2020 (model 4800), but the fact that you mentioned your Roku detects "Dolby Atmos" suggests that you do, in which case you want to make sure your Settings/Audio/HDMI="Auto passthrough" (not "Auto detect" which converts all audio to the highest Dolby level of the detected connected device)

The latest firmware for the 4800 is 9.4.1-4222, make sure yours has that.

Barring that, you may want to power-cycle everything in your HDMI chain (TV and soundbar included), turning everything off for a few minutes, making sure to turn them on in the following order:  ARC device (soundbar), TV, then Roku.

View solution in original post

Ian85
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for that.  After giving up on it for the time being, I turned everything off. After reading your comment, I turned everything back on (I always turn the TV and soundbar on separately using the TV remote, and then turn on the Roku last with its remote) and it was working again! Very strange and of course the one easy thing I didn't try. Again, I've had the Roku for 2 months with no issues, but if it happens again, I'll know what to do. Thanks!

0 Kudos