Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sbrentn
Level 8

No sound unless using stereo preset

Having a weird issue: switched to a 2019 Roku Ultra from an Nvidia Shield (2019) and before that an AppleTV4k. The roku is connected directly to my Samsung HW-Q70R Dolby Atmos capable soundbar and an HDMI cable is connected from the soundbar to the ARC HDMI on my LG OLED. 

When all audio settings are on auto, I can start a video in plex, Netflix, etc. Everything plays fine. However if I fast forward or rewind, when the video loads again there is no sound. If I go back to the Roku home screen, the navigational noises are no longer present. Everything is muted on the roku. I have to restart to get sound again. (I’ve also tried hitting the * when playing a video - there is no audio leveling turned on. Also tried resetting both the roku and my soundbar)

I’ve tried all the possible audio setting combinations and the only one that works and doesn’t have the issue is setting the audio to STEREO. My previous streaming boxes mentioned above had no issues passing Dolby Whatever or Atmos. Both worked perfectly using the same HDMI cables and using the same configuration/connections. 

I’m sort of bummed to be honest - this is an expensive soundbar and to think i won’t be able to utilize any sound other than stereo is quite rough. 

has anyone else seen this? Have input?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5\
sbrentn
Level 8

Re: No sound unless using stereo preset

Anyone have suggestions? 

0 Kudos
cbarbagallo
Level 9

Having a similar issue where I will lose the sound but the UI clicks and sounds still work, just not the actual show.  Only a reboot fixes it.

0 Kudos
sbrentn
Level 8

@cbarbagallo wrote:

Having a similar issue where I will lose the sound but the UI clicks and sounds still work, just not the actual show.  Only a reboot fixes it.

I’ve now had a few times where the system navigational sounds work (all UI clicks) but any video that’s played, no luck. Reboot the roku and it works.....until it doesn’t. Then it’s rinse, wash and repeat. Sounds like we’re having the same problem!

0 Kudos
Win1
Level 8

@sbrentn hi, you said (Having a weird issue: The Roku is connected directly to my Samsung HW-Q70R Dolby Atmos capable soundbar and an HDMI cable is connected from the soundbar to the ARC HDMI on my LG OLED)

just a suggestion try connecting the Roku to the ARC HDMI on your TV, then hookup the soundbar via optical or coaxial cable from the back of your TV that way the soundbar only process the audio signal, also if you have other playback issues deal with it directly from the Roku settings.... good luck with what every helps 

0 Kudos
sbrentn
Level 8

I have a Dolby Atmos soundbar - I need to hook up the roku directly to the soundbar itself. Like I said - no issues with an Apple TV or Nvidia shield doing this. The issue lies with the roku player. 

0 Kudos