Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ndevitz
Level 7

No sound from shows

All of the sudden my Roku stopped playing sound once a show is selected, sound is there when moving around apps and selecting shows but once the show loads nothing. Thanks for the help!

6 REPLIES 6\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No sound from shows

Most online providers use Dolby Digital Plus as the audio codec. If you aren't connected to something that supports the codec, you won't get any audio. Check your Roku audio settings in the main Settings menu. It it's set to auto, try changing it to stereo. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
DBall
Level 7

My Roku sound stopped, so I did some troubleshooting and put in another Roku that we have by haven't used in a while. There is still no sound. I changed the audio settings like you said but it didn't work. Suggestions?

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@DBall wrote:

My Roku sound stopped, so I did some troubleshooting and put in another Roku that we have by haven't used in a while. There is still no sound. I changed the audio settings like you said but it didn't work. Suggestions?

Huh. I have no idea now. However, swapping the Roku players pretty much eliminates the Roku itself as being defective. It's obviously something to do with the audio settings, but what they might be I can't say. Might look in the TV settings menu under audio and see what's there. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RaffoMiami
Level 7

I have the same problem and cannot call support warranted is only 90 days

0 Kudos
Steuen
Level 9

I don't know that your issue is the same as mine because when I switched to Hulu or Disney, all of the sound went away, but here's what I did to make mine work.

My system - Roku stick on a Vizio TV (no external speakers or soundbar).

On the Roku stick menu, go to Settings -> Audio -> HDMI -> and set to PCM - Stereo. It appears that the audio HDMI auto detect routine has a defect in it where it fails to switch over after one or more of the states was selected. The Audio Mode setting did not make a difference. This means no Dolby output, but at least I have sound.

Hope it works for you while Roku find the bug and squashes it.

0 Kudos
t1619
Level 7

Having the same exact issue. Except I do have a sound bar because my TV speakers stopped working two years ago. None of the troubleshooting has worked so far. Any other suggestions? 

0 Kudos