Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scott0521
Reel Rookie

No sound from Roku 1 when connected thru Denon AVR

Jump to solution

I've connected my Roku 1 to my Denon AVR x4300 using an HDMI cable.  My Denon is then connected to my LG OLED TV, also using an HDMI cable.   I get a picture, but no sound.  I'm not even getting sound you normally hear when navigating thru the roku menu screens.   I have other devices set up (Raspberry Pi, Xfinity STB, BluRay DVD player) using this exact same set up and they all work fine.  When I connect the Roku 1 directly to the TV and change my audio configurations on the TV to use the TV speakers, I get sound.  I know the Roku 1 is an older device.  Is it not capable of sending audio thru an AVR?  If it is, does anyone have any ideas on what I need to do to get audio?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bmal8

Re: No sound from Roku 1 when connected thru Denon AVR

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with my denon 2113cl. Went into video then hdmi set up and turned off hdmi control. Voila! Sound is back

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
dgrace
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Have you checked that your avr is set to pass audio through in hdmi?

"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
Scott0521
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi dgrace, Thanks for your reply.  I've checked and it looks fine.  To test the settings on the AVR, I also have a Raspberry Pi that's connected the same way and works fine (receive both audio & video).  To make sure the settings on the receiver were ok, I switched the HDMI ports I used for the Roku (HDMI 3) and the Pi (HDMI 5).  I didn't change any settings on the AVR for HDMI 3 & 5, just connected the Pi into the port I had the used for the Roku and connected the Roku into the port I was using for the Pi.   After the swap, the Raspberry was still working ok via the HDMI3 connection and the Roku still had the same issue (video but no audio) via the HDMI 5 connection.  Maybe I've oversimplified something or not seeing something obvious, but that tells me the issue is with the Roku, not the AVR or configuration set up.  What's strange is if I bypass the AVR, and connect the Roku directly to the TV's HDMI port, I get both sound (via TV speakers) and picture.  This seems to say it's not an issue with the Roku producing audio.  I'm totally lost... Any Ideas? 

Jump to solution

I was relieved to see this post since researching the same problem. Did you ever get resolution?

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Have you tried changing any of the audio settings on the Roku?  Maybe the Roku is in a mode that the AVR doesn't like? (Due to HDMI version, bug, etc.)

I have noticed a few other threads about Denon AVRs without sound.  Hopefully when someone figures it out, they'll post the answer.  (Unfortunately, I think a lot of people don't bother to post once things are fixed.)

Here's an example Denon no sound thread.  Search can probably find more.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Can-I-connect-Roku-Premiere-to-Denon...

0 Kudos
Bmal8

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with my denon 2113cl. Went into video then hdmi set up and turned off hdmi control. Voila! Sound is back

0 Kudos