Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

No sound for streaming videos in all apps, toggling sound works in Home

Jump to solution

Anyone have any idea how to fix the sound not working for the videos in apps? Its happening in all of the apps. This was working earlier today without any issues, Im not sure if an auto update occurred or not. The toggling sound between apps in Home is working, so we can hear sound but only there. We've tried restarting the roku, the TV, unplugging it and plugging back in, checking sound settings on TV and Roku. Nothing appears to fix it. I also read somewhere else to try to pause and restart the video but that didnt work either. I'm assuming its a Roku issue since the toggling sound works just fine.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: No sound for streaming videos in all apps, toggling sound works in Home

Jump to solution

We have 2 roku's and both have began doing this as well. One for a few weeks now, and the other only recently. Doing a system restart (from the Settings > System menu) will fix it, but this usually returns by the next day. This is definitely a software issue from a recent update. 

View solution in original post

17 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

No help from me, but I just started having the same problem. I watched a show on Roku channel with no problem; started to watch one from Amazon, and no sound. Also no sound on any channel.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

ME TOO!!  I have 4 Roku's and one by one 3 of them have this issue of NO VOLUME - either in the middle watching a show the volume just goes out or when I turn it on TV there's no volume! No sound on any app or toggling thru the apps. The first time I experienced it was on a brand new TV, so I thought it was the TV and I contacted the company. We did troubleshooting and I fought with them until they replace the TV. Then afterwords I begin having the same issue with 2 other TVs - with the ROKU's!  VERY ANNOYING AND FRUSTRATING TO KEEP UNPLUGGING TO RESET!

I've searched unsuccessfully on line looking for a phone number to contact Roku because WE as consumers should not have to troubleshoot our issues with their product!!  

Had I known their customer service was so bad, I would've never purchased the Roku. If I wanted drama I would've stayed with my cable company.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

We have 2 roku's and both have began doing this as well. One for a few weeks now, and the other only recently. Doing a system restart (from the Settings > System menu) will fix it, but this usually returns by the next day. This is definitely a software issue from a recent update. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same thing mine started yesterday I was watching something on Hulu with sound hopped over to YouTube that had no sound switched back to Hulu now there’s no sound anywhere 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I say if you are able to return your welcome to the store – return it now!

I've never heard of such a company that has sold so many units that do not have a personal customer support team – why should their consumers go into a community to compare stories with no results!?

We are doing a community chat just to compare war stories and still be stuck with a defective product! 

Be sure to warn all of your friends and family that Roku sucks!!!!

Level 7

Jump to solution

This worked, I tried it the day you posted and it hasnt went back to no soundyet. Even if I have to do it daily I'm okay with that for now though. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
This started happening to me about a month ago or so.  I can switch to my tv or my playstation, sound is fine.

I did the reboot as y'all did but it only works for a little while, I swapped out my HDMI cable, and then did a restore to factory, (which sucked cuz you have to reinstall everything you had).

Nothing has worked, its all channels every app.
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Seems this no sound thing isn't new and has not been solved.  Have to restart my TV, etc. for it to work.  What's the issue and why isn't this being fixed?  So frustrating and not right.

Roku, can you help solve this problem please???????????

Thank you.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'm having same trouble. I do have phone number for ROKU  support. BUT there is nobody to answer due to "covid 19". 

1-816-272-8106

Netflix customer support gave me the number and said they have numerous calls on ref to Netflix not working but its a Roku issue.  Quick fix on each and every app or channel is to turn off TV and right back on. Aggravating to say the least but at least it can be watched!

0 Kudos